Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Ratrodder85
1st Gear Member

Default New owner questions

Hey guys, I have been trolling a bunch of sites the last few days, and you seem like the best guys to learn from. I just upgraded from my 2000 mustang to a 05 v6 premium coupe.
It's red with black leather. I didn't do many mods on my 00' cause I bought it with almost 100k miles on it and was just waiting to buy a 05+. I want to do some appearance and performance mods, but don't know even know where to start.

I want to remove the black tape stripe from the rocker panels.Is this advisable? If so, how should I go about doing this?
I would like to get the GT fog lights in the grill. Does that mean I need to replace my V6 grille and fascia with GT takeoffs?

As far as performance, which upgrades are must-haves? I had CAI on my old mustang, but that was about the extent of my performance mods. Reflash? Exhaust? CAI?Are there any Ford accessories or upgrades worth having? I get parts and accessories at dealer price, so that's a decent discount.
This is my daily driver, and i have a 63 Ford with a 429 if I want to get ridiculous, I just mainly want to get the most out of this beautiful car. I'm open to any suggestions, thanks a lot guys!
-Eric
Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New owner questions

The Black Tape Stripe can be removed with a little heat from what I've been told. That is if you no longer want it. i love mine but there has been a big topic posted on here about the Rocker Stripe.

the GT fog lights will come with their own grill so you will have to replace the V6 grill. There is also a thread on here on the complete process on how to do it. When you order the GT grill ask for the V6 conversion kit that way you can keep your existing wire kit and do a direct hook up.

As for performance goes just take your finger and point to the 4.0 section and somewhere around your finger will be a thread on performance. No joke, everyday someone is posting something about turbo or SC, What headers to buy, or what tuner to go with.

There is so much information on here it can be overwhelming but look through the specific threads and when you find something you like post a comment someone will get back to you.

Best of Luck
Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

first off, i'd like to say welcome [8D] I just upgraded from my 91 ford ranger 2 1/2 months ago when i found my stang.

well i don't know exactly what black tape you're talking about on the rocker panels... but if its just a regular decal i've seen a lot of guys on here posting that the easiet way they've taken of stripes and such was to heat the decal and then slowly peel it off... and use something like goo gone to remove any residue. i'm sure there are a couple postings in the appearance section.

as far as foglights go, there are a nice varitey of kits you can choose. I actually bought mine with the lights already installed (though not wired), and it looked pretty geniune until i took a closer look. what the previous owner did to mine was buy some gt takeoffs (mine are slyvanias) and then actually CUT the plastic grill to make them fit and look natural... and it looks great as long as you don't use a magnifying glass. I don't exactly agree with the method that he took, but it doesn't look too bad, and i'm sure it was a very cheap way of throwing some nice fogs on.

Looks good doesn't it? [8D]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...stangfront.jpg

although, i have a question for you that have done the conversion "the right way." the back of my foglights have two prongs that almost look like the connectors you would use for plugging in a tv to your household outlet... is this right? I mean, will these fog light harnesses i see all over the place really work with this type of connection? i'll try to take a pic if i get a chance later today
Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Ratrodder85
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Those lights do look good Dan, but I want to do it the right way. Is the GT grill the same size and mounting as the v6?
Epimetheus, I see sequential taillights mentioned in your sig, are those available for our car? I have loved those ever since the old t-birds used them. Could you link me a site for those?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:16 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

The gt grills DO NOT fit the V6. Our front bumpers are a little different. I bought a Street Scene kit from V6mustangstuff.com (very good guys). I forgot how much I paid (250 maybey?) and I got an additional discount for being a member here. There are a variety of sequential tails availible...Just look around our different sponsors websites and you will find a bunch of different options.

Lastly, welcome to the site!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

I got mine off eBay, M&M Sequential Taillight Kit from apex@surpluscomputers.com. They may have a few left.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:43 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: banka87

The gt grills DO NOT fit the V6. Our front bumpers are a little different. I bought a Street Scene kit from V6mustangstuff.com (very good guys). I forgot how much I paid (250 maybey?) and I got an additional discount for being a member here. There are a variety of sequential tails availible...Just look around our different sponsors websites and you will find a bunch of different options.

Lastly, welcome to the site!
StreetScene V6 Eleanor grill
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-07...spagenameZWDVW
$164.95 OEM GT Fog Lamps NOT Included

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/A9745D60573D404B848802D7AE2299A8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/A13E5F07B65349FCA8DAE43C2741BCFF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Ratrodder85
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I like the eleanor grill for sure, but I would prefer the lights further apart.
How much was the sequential kit?
Another question, where is the best place to buy GT takeoffs? I think the first thing I will do (after removing the tape stripe) is get GT rocker panels and possibly stripe the top.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Do you like the Pony Package grill? Its a genuine Ford part, comes with the wiring harness, GT style light switch(you pull out on the headlight **** to turn the fogs on), lights and everything. I got one installed on my car and I love it. My pic is old, I need to update it. Its not as cheap as some of the others out there, but you kind find deals if you look hard enough. http://www.blueovalindustries.com/pr...p?pid=99012604

Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

look in the aperence thread. lots of us have posted there. stick with the pony or one of the other made for v6 grills. street scene has many types. and so do others. they also have a wire harness that is pretty easy to install. ask all the questions yo like we all started that way. and good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: New owner questions