Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boosting my cars HP on a budget!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:59 AM
mustang_ss

Default Boosting my cars HP on a budget!

Alright well I'm selling my 400+hp GT and now driving my six banger isn't too fun... (here is the thread of my car for sale btw: https://mustangforums.com/m_4300389/tm.htm

So I'm trying to see my options for getting my 4.0 to a more "respectable" horse power

Unfortunately I have a budget of 2-4k (4k is absolute MAX, I would prefer to only spend 2k for now).

From someone who has very little technical knowledge of cars, what could I do to reach a higher performance level that I'm looking for. My plan is to do all the "core" modifications and then when I have more money buy an X-Charger.

Also I'm looking for something that I may be able to install myself (with the help of my dads friend who is a mechanic, but he doesen't do specialty installs).

My car is a 2005 Mustang v6 4.0L completely stock as far as drivetrain. I have a full SSE body kit and 20" Boze wheels.

I look forward to you guys possibly helping me with where to go as far as mods.

thanks in advanced

--Brad

Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 AM
mustang_ss

Default RE: Boosting my cars HP on a budget!

Well I have been reading around a bit, though I will say it is quite over whelming, tonsss of info here.

Tell me how this sounds to start:

First: CAI (thats a dummy install right? pretty sure it is, just making sure)
Dual Exhaust (Install myself?)

After I do this, what would be next? I plan to drive this car until it dies, so I want to mod the hell out of it over the next year. Also I got a "Diablo Tuner" with my GT, can I use that on my v6 to tune it? If so how would I find some info on tuning it with that tuner, and is it pointless to tune it while stock, should I wait until I get a CAI?

Thanks in advanced, Brad

Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 AM
mustang_ss

Default I hate california!

I'm kind of just talking to my self lol, but I guess thats expected when you suddenly decide you want to mod your car at 3 in the morning.

Anyways I was reading about CAI, and I didn't know that there are limitations in Cali, that sucks...

Is a street legal CAI going to mean a lot less hp gain? Also any reccomendations for a good well priced CAI that is good to go in Cali.

Anyways looking forward to hearing back tommorrow. I registered for these forums in 05 when I first got my car, but lost interest in modding it, now it's all I can think about!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I hate california!

if ur planning on going f/i relativly soon dont waste your money on a cai. just buy a programmer with a tune from a respectable company ( bamachips, brenspeed). you will need the programmer for the xcharger anyway. as far as exaust, if you decide to go dual make sure you get true duals, not the y pipe version. those dont show anylarger gains then a single axleback. true duals will. the tune will really wake up the car. best bang for the buck. a t-lok and 3.73s will also make the world of a difference and definatly will make the car alot more fun to drive.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If you really are going the FI route.. all you can do is get a tune from a good tuner (bamachips or brenspeed to name two that i like), get new gears and a t-lok (can't really install them yourself), and go with true duals.

Another thing would be to toss the 20's and put the stock 17's back on.

ORIGINAL: mustang_ss

Alright well I'm selling my 400+hp GT and now driving my six banger isn't too fun... (here is the thread of my car for sale btw: https://mustangforums.com/m_4300389/tm.htm

So I'm trying to see my options for getting my 4.0 to a more "respectable" horse power

Unfortunately I have a budget of 2-4k (4k is absolute MAX, I would prefer to only spend 2k for now).

From someone who has very little technical knowledge of cars, what could I do to reach a higher performance level that I'm looking for. My plan is to do all the "core" modifications and then when I have more money buy an X-Charger.

Also I'm looking for something that I may be able to install myself (with the help of my dads friend who is a mechanic, but he doesen't do specialty installs).

My car is a 2005 Mustang v6 4.0L completely stock as far as drivetrain. I have a full SSE body kit and 20" Boze wheels.

I look forward to you guys possibly helping me with where to go as far as mods.

thanks in advanced

--Brad

Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

+1......mod your exhuast so that its F/I ready. headers all the way to the muffs. get a tuner cuz you're gonna need that anyway. if you want an intake anyways, look into VMP's custom intake/tuner combo. heres the link:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=92

the intake is not a "looker" but its definitely a performer from what i've read. best thing is that its only about $60 more compared to buying the tuner alone somewhere else. it also comes with custom tunes. MUCH MUCH better than the canned/default performance tunes that originally come with the tuner. good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

If you plan to go FI in the future, my advice would be to avoid building up your stock 7.5" rear with new gears and a Limited Slip Differential (LSD). Complete rotor-to-rotor take-off 8.8" GT rears are available from places like Speed Concepts. You will spend slightly more money, but end up with a stronger rear. You will need an fitting to mate your V6 driveshaft to the GT rear, but they sell the part.

I had 4.10's and a t-loc installed in my 7.5", but if I had it to do over again I would have found a 8.8" GT rear instead.

Good luck...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

just a question...why did you go with the kit and rims if you are on a budget..?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 PM
raylandm
2nd Gear Member

My question would be is why did you dump the 400hp GT? Id go with exhaust mods and cai w/tune. all under 2000 with a tiny increase in HP.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

If your going F/I then you should go true duals, get the 8.8 rear, suspension mods, and a tune if ya want til you have the money for the X..

Quick Reply: Boosting my cars HP on a budget!