Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Want to replace my muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Want to replace my muffler...

I don't have the money for Duel or I'd go that rout so should I just go with a GT take off or any other suggestions? Will it really make much of a difference?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to replace my muffler...

Good plan, the stock V6 muffler sucks.

GT takeoff is a good and inexpensive option. Sounds decent (much better than stock), little performance boost, etc.

I've got a single Flowmaster AT right now and it sounds pretty loud and rumbly. JBA, MRT Aeroturbine, Borla/FRPP Stinger (that's an expensive one though), etc, etc.

You have lots of options, do a little search for "v6 exhaust" or whatever on the forums (or YouTube) and you can start listening to sound clips and getting different opinions to help out your decision a bit.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:54 AM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

GT takeoff is a good and inexpensive option. Sounds decent (much better than stock), little performance boost, etc.

I've got a single Flowmaster AT right now and it sounds pretty loud and rumbly. JBA, MRT Aeroturbine, Borla/FRPP Stinger (that's an expensive one though), etc, etc.

You have lots of options, do a little search for "v6 exhaust" or whatever on the forums (or YouTube) and you can start listening to sound clips and getting different opinions to help out your decision a bit.
Around how much will a GT take off as well as those options run me?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I had a JBA single, sounded real nice. My other favorite is the Borla/FRPP single. GT take offs also sound good, but more mild.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:47 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

The GT take-off sounds better than the V6 muffler, but it's not much louder. If you want some volume and a nice aggressive tone I'd say the JBA, Flowmaster 40s/AT or MRT AeroTurbine would be the way to go. I have the MRT AeroTurbine, and I love it. Brand new it costs $225... more expensive than a Flow or GT take-off, but they do weld the tip on for you and the sound is definitely worth it for a single exhaust.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StreamlineStang

ORIGINAL: raubt

Around how much will a GT take off as well as those options run me?
Check out the classifieds on this forum. Many GT guys sell their mufflers for cheap. I think I saw one the other day for $40.00 for two!
I bought two from this forum for $80 and that included shipping.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

If you're looking for an easy an inexpensive way to go, then the GT takeoffs are it. I snagged a pair of GT/CS takeoffs (came with the chrome tip) for $70 shipped from someone on the forum (keep an eye on the Parts for Sale section).

Originally, I was going to just slap on the single exhaust and hang on to the other one in case I went duals. Long story short, I became the meat in a car sandwich a week before I was going to add the exhaust. Thanks to the goofball that ran into me, I now have true duals and both exhausts on the car. The sound couldn't be sweeter!! When it starts up, it actually sounds like a GT. Whatever you do, definitely get rid of the stock muffler!!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If you have a manual and go to a GT take-off muff make sure it came off a manual
and vice versa. They are different with different Ford part #s.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

If you have a manual and go to a GT take-off muff make sure it came off a manual
I've seen this posted many, many times. Does it really make a difference? Like if you were to set mufflers side by side could you tell which is an auto from a manual?
I did get manual mufflers for my manual transmission, but I was just curious.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: 157db

I've seen this posted many, many times. Does it really make a difference? Like if you were to set mufflers side by side could you tell which is an auto from a manual?
I did get manual mufflers for my manual transmission, but I was just curious.
Yes I set them side by side (eBay seller sold me an Auto muffler
and claimed it was a M/T muff) and they are different.

If anyone stuck a big bow on my Stang, I would be mad.
[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/FF7A973E92E9414A8455022151A2FF1E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/20D1086950D748AAB1CF3D6CC35F7442.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Want to replace my muffler...