Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel Guage Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 AM
bhaz413
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Guage Problem....

Hey everyone, I am a proud owner of a 2005 mustang. This is a big change for me, coming from the "import" scene. I have never been a real big fan of the mustang, but this one caught my eye. I took it out for a test drive and fell in LOVE with it!!!

So here is my problem.....I left the dealership, everything was fine. However when I stoped at the house, left to go back out, my fuel guage is now wacked out. It goes past the full fuel line, but it goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay past it, to the point where it is almost point completely pointing down. When I start the car, it looks like it reads normal, but then shoots way past the full line.

Now I drove about 30 miles and it slowly goes down (or should I say up lol), but the problem has not corrected it self. Also at one point the check engine light came on, but went off while I was driving. Not sure if that is related or not. The car still drives well and performs great, so I am not sure if this is a common problem you have all witnessed.

Can anyone help me out? I have a appointment on Monday to bring it into the dealership, but would like to hear everyones feedback ahead a time.

Thank guys!!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Guage Problem....

Typically any gas gauge problems are with the float or the sender unit, not in the dash itself. It could be something as benign as dirty contact points on the sender or a loose (frayed) wire. It should still be under warranty, I would have the dealer look at it. I do not know why your check engine light would go on however, could be a separate issue. When it goes past full, how full is the tank? Have you tried driving until almost empty (use your trip indicator to figure out that your about out) and fill up again to see if it is a float issue.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

man, sounds like that car is gonna have issues..seriously, if you just bought it, you know the dealer tried to cover up anything that was already wrong with the car, and the check engine light is coming on? I would be scared of that car... How many miles is on the car?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
bhaz413
1st Gear Member

Interesting, maybe I will try that. I just got the car yesterday so havent had a chance to empty it out. I took it out on a test drive and everything was fine and I inspected everything on the car and there was no issues. I think the issue came to light when I was on a back road and decided to fish tail around the corner lol. So mabye something in the tank got joggled or something. We shall find out Monday first thing however.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 PM
bhaz413
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

man, sounds like that car is gonna have issues..seriously, if you just bought it, you know the dealer tried to cover up anything that was already wrong with the car, and the check engine light is coming on? I would be scared of that car... How many miles is on the car?
Yeah Im not sure whats up with it. The car is beautiful, 1 owner, 55k in miles. The car fax came back clean and the dealer is well know for quality cars, so I hope they wouldnt try to scam me.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
LIGHTFOOT

Last month the check engine light comes on. take it in. they run diagnostics. The codes show it's running lean and rich at the same time??????????. They reset the codes and charge me $88. I bitch, they say well if it comes back on, we will work with you on the price next time. Yesterday it's back on-dont know if it's the same code or not-i'm taking it back in next week.

Last edited by LIGHTFOOT; 10-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by LIGHTFOOT
Last month the check engine light comes on. take it in. they run diagnostics. The codes show it's running lean and rich at the same time??????????. They reset the codes and charge me $88. I bitch, they say well if it comes back on, we will work with you on the price next time. Yesterday it's back on-dont know if it's the same code or not-i'm taking it back in next week.
I've owned my last Mustang.
$88 to reset diagnostic codes. What a rip-off. And you paid it?

nORMAL OPERATION.
rEAD ALL ABOUT IT.

Last edited by 157dB; 07-22-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I've had this problem before on other cars but not my stang. I've always replaced it by just replacing the sending unit in the gas tank. Take it to a reputable shop and they should be able to work with you on the check engine light and not charge you as much as the other member. This could turn out to be an easy fix. Do you have a tuner yet?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
LIGHTFOOT

Originally Posted by 157db
$88 to reset diagnostic codes. What a rip-off. And you paid it?
not just to reset the codes, but for diagnostics. And yes, i paid it, they did work on it for two hours.
next trip's on them

Last edited by LIGHTFOOT; 07-22-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 PM
COHF13

well i got almost the same problem... but all my gauges are messed up... i live in a ranch so i think its the bumpy roads n all the shakin that the car goes through.

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage Problem....