Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Supercharger

ORIGINAL: 05nightrider

what about these steel/metal head gaskets that will allow for severe increase in compression ratios?

also, with cams and supercharger, what kind of power could you see? 400rwhp? 450rwhp? what else can be done to make even more?

new injectors?
rods?
pistons?
arent our heads already aluminum? so why replace them?
I am only answer a few things there...

With heads and cams, you are looking at numbers between 380-450rwhp depending on boost and what kind of heads and cams you do. New injectors do not add more power, they just allow you to reach the power you should be getting. If you dont have sufficient injectors, bad things could happen. Nobody has tried upgrading the bottom of the engine yet with a supercharger, with good parts and a built drivetrain, you can be looking at a ton of power. Our heads are iron as I remember. However, it is not the material of the heads that matter when you are looking for power, it is the work done to them. Aftermarket heads are usually ported and polished (along with a few other things that are too technical for me to remember off the top of my head) and that makes the power.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 AM
taz9124

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: taz9124

I will be installing my Vortech supercharger with aftercooler soon... I should be looking at 330 HP. I'll have to wait and see once its all said and done
are you talking HP or RWHP?

The manual states 330 HP with aftercooler at 10 psi boost
Old 12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

so which is better for a street/ occasional strip car? intercooler or aftercooler? whats the difference?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I will be installing my Vortech supercharger with aftercooler soon... I should be looking at 330 HP. I'll have to wait and see once its all said and done

330 HP is based on the "canned" Vortech tune... i would invest in a good dyno tune for optimal results... should be able to get 300+ RWHP!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Justin at VMP tuninghas way more than 300rwhp with his Vortech.
He's at 16lbson thestock block[8D]. Of course, clutch and rear end are non stock.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:38 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05nightrider

so which is better for a street/ occasional strip car? intercooler or aftercooler? whats the difference?
they do the same thing. Technically, they are the same thing, but aftercooler usually refers to an air/liquid intercooler and intercooler usually refers to air/air intercoolers. Air to air intercoolers look alot like a radiator, but there is no liquid inside. It uses the same technology your radiator uses to cool coolant/water to cool charge-air after the turbo or supercharger. an air/liquid type intercooler uses a heat exchanger, which is also similar to a radiator, to cool a mixture of water and coolant, which then cools the air being forced through the intercooler itself. Both cool the charge-air. Generally, air/liquid systems are more efficicent in short bursts, but are more prone to heat soak than say a front mount air/air. If you are looking for the best all around performance, a front mount is usually the way to go, but it's not worth swapping if the kit you're looking at (the vortech kit) comes with air/liquid...unless you are planning something big.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Aftercooler and intercoolers are not the same thing. Most cars do not use intercoolers anymore. Aftercoolers are placed after the compressor, while intercoolers are placed before the intercooler. I have never seen a car that actually uses an intercooler.

However, for some reason, people have started to refer to air-air coolers as intercoolers and air-water coolers are aftercoolers.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:47 PM
taz9124

330 HP is based on the "canned" Vortech tune... i would invest in a good dyno tune for optimal results... should be able to get 300+ RWHP!
Ill have to check into it... thanks for the info... I'll be glad when it gets here so i can get started on it
Old 12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

Aftercooler and intercoolers are not the same thing. Most cars do not use intercoolers anymore. Aftercoolers are placed after the compressor, while intercoolers are placed before the intercooler. I have never seen a car that actually uses an intercooler.

However, for some reason, people have started to refer to air-air coolers as intercoolers and air-water coolers are aftercoolers.
Technically...

And intercooler is placed BETWEEN two compressors (hence "inter") not before...

So in fact aftercooler is technically the correct term, whether it's air-to-air or water-to-air... unless of course you have a dual compressor setup which is very very unlikely (and I don't mean twin turbos, which are in parrallel)... but most every one uses the term intercooler except for Vortech...

Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

you are correct John, learn a new thing every day.

wikipeda:
"aircraft engines were built with charge air coolers that were installed between multiple stages of supercharging, thus the designation of inter. Modern automobile designs are technically designated aftercoolers because of their placement at the end of supercharging chain"

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger