Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default CAI and Tune

Ok so I finally get to get something for my stang. I deciede on going with the CAI first. I dont know anybody around here with a Dyno so a Dynotune is out of the question but say I want a CAI. Ok so what kind of tuner should I get with it? and I need a CAI that will fit to the factory box cause I am going to get a Ram Air hood and as far as I know the Cervinis Type 4 hoods with the Ram Air line up to the factory boxes and just use a gasket to set down on them atleast that is what I think they do. So any help with what kind of CAI and Tuner to get

Thanks
BW

P.S. I would also like a tuner that keeps my factory setting for future reference.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:51 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI and Tune

you wont find any CAIs that use the factory air box. if you want a CAI that fits in the factory air box location, I think that most of them do. I am sure that the Steeda and AFE ones will sit in the same location. I cant speak for any of the other ones, because those are the only two that I have had
Old 12-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

I got the diablosport predator; its seems to be big in my area and i picked it up at my local shop really cheap. Very easy to use, and it saves the factory settings.

the xcal seems to be a popular choice around here, and vmptuning has a nice package deal for the xcal & intake for 449.

i just wanted to throw on the 93 octane tune & be able to use a CAI, but i think they both will do the job.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

any cai with a heat shield should put up a barrier that will almost mimic the stock airbox location so find one you like and have fun
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Ok so. I guess my question should be how do the Ram Air hoods work, because I want to use a CAI with the hood if possible. I was wondering if you had to have the stock box to get them to work.

The Diablo Sport is the one I was thinking about. My only problem now is how to work them. I a pretty decent I think with electronic stuff. I catch on quick but can anybody give me a quick rundown of how they work? How much I should expect to pay? and Where to get one?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

the hood should work with any cai if the cai has a heat shield. As far as the Predator I think they run around $350-$400 depending on where you go online. If you can find a performance shop within a reasonable driving distance they might cut you a better deal. To use it just plug it into your obd2 port under and left of the steering wheel and follow the on screen instructions. it's very self explanatory once you plug in.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Ok Thanks guys. So I am assuming the hood just dumps the air out over the air box and nothing else. I thought that they worked like the Shaker Systems on the Mach 1's. I guess I will just go ahead and get the CAI and the tuner as long as I am able to set the stuff back to factory

Thanks for all the help
BW
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BWfVA

Ok Thanks guys. So I am assuming the hood just dumps the air out over the air box and nothing else. I thought that they worked like the Shaker Systems on the Mach 1's. I guess I will just go ahead and get the CAI and the tuner as long as I am able to set the stuff back to factory

Thanks for all the help
BW
yeah, pretty much. they direct outside air towards your filter element location. performance gain might not be anything to rave about but cool air is always a good thing. it def doesnt hurt.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:57 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks. There is someone on this site who got the Cervinis Type 4 Hood if I could remeber who it was then I would ask them if it worked very well. But I dont even know if they have the ram air on it or not