Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What causes the v6 with duals to get a popping sound? (I want more of it)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default What causes the v6 with duals to get a popping sound? (I want more of it)

Hey, I've seen on freshly installed duals that a v6 will always get that nice popping sound in the exhaust. Does anyone know what causes this? It seems either the colder temperatures or the soot in the muffler have decreased this for me, and it's my intention to try to ramp this up as it's my favorite part of the exhaust note.

I'm running an x-charger if that makes a difference. I hope it's just the temps.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What causes the v6 with duals to get a popping sound? (I want more of it)

um... a resurgence of air back into the exhaust pipe? Or it might just mean your muffler finally broke in. What exhaust setup are you running?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What causes the v6 with duals to get a popping sound? (I want more of it)

Manual-GT duals through a y pipe. I've heard that the sound is because of unburnt gas in the pipes and this should also explain why the pipe gets a bit more sooty than it should..

I have no problem clearing the tips weekly if the sound is caused by running rich and hampered by soot but if I pinn down the reason I won't be shooting in the dark. I hope it's not the break in period melowing out the sound.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

well, you could always get an xcal and play with the injector pulse.. raise your air to fuel ratio so you burn leaner
Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

popping? you mean that crackling noise at high rpm's?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
XtremeRage
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Hey, I've seen on freshly installed duals that a v6 will always get that nice popping sound in the exhaust. Does anyone know what causes this? It seems either the colder temperatures or the soot in the muffler have decreased this for me, and it's my intention to try to ramp this up as it's my favorite part of the exhaust note.

I'm running an x-charger if that makes a difference. I hope it's just the temps.
The backfiring? I don't know about you but most people don't like that sound, well at least I don't. Just means the car is running a little rich and its excess gas that has not been burned that finally burns in the exhaust pipe, usually happens if you rev the car alot before you give it time to warm up.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

You mean that crackling noise that you get while revving? You can get more of it with an X pipe, but I dont see why you would want that....
Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

You mean that crackling noise that you get while revving? You can get more of it with an X pipe, but I dont see why you would want that....
I have the x pipe and I don't hear any cracking, popping or back fire noise......then again, I don't rev the engine up either. Personally, I don't like that sound.....it makes the car seem unrefined or in need of a good tune.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

not sure i've ever heard people say they WANT that noise before now...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

What XCharger number are you?

Quick Reply: What causes the v6 with duals to get a popping sound? (I want more of it)