Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Default Dead Battery

Hey...for those with experience, I've got the C&L and SCT tuner on the car, with tunes. I've had the car in the garage most of the winter and went to start it up this a.m., to a DEAD battery. I can jump it no probs. But...will the dead battery do anything to the tunes that were loaded? Do I have to reload or what?

Help Please...Slo
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dead Battery

The tune that the car last had will be the tune it has when it starts up again. I would jump it, let it charge or get a new battery...and reload the tune you want later on.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
alsoknownazg
3rd Gear Member

yea my battery died while it was sittin, i had to get it jumped, i drove my car around and it still felt like it had the tune but i reloaded it just incase
Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 AM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if it would or not because I had read somewhere that if you unhooked the battery for a while it would flash your computer back to stock. Is that true?

I wasn't sure when I read it/or heard it, because that would mean that you'd have to carry your programmer around with you just for that reason? Maybe it's not a bad idea to leave it in the trunk then, just in case.

For those who had to get another battery, did FORD do anything to reimburse you? The reason I ask, I have an '06 that barely has 4000 miles on it. I know...but it basically gets driven on the nice days up here in the NW, and those have been few and far between. So it sits, which could be adding to the problem. But it sat through last winter, too, with no problems. I did a search, and some have had dead batts when they turned the car off while the stereo was still on. It seems the amp does not turn off if you do it that way? The only other thing that is different from last year, I added sequential tail lights. So I'm wondering where the draw is coming from, if there is one.

As for dealer buying me a new batt, I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks again,
Slo
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

mine died also sitting for about a week. i think its faulty wiring. take it in to the dealership.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Okay...got the official word from Fred at Evol. Perf...."When the battery dies it has no effect on the tune."

That clears alot of the fog in my brain over this issue. Now I just have to go buy a new batt or push the car out of the garage so I can jump it. Sucks having a 3 car garage that only one car fits into, but for those that are married, or have a significant other living with you, I'm sure you'll understand. Oh well, if I have to push it out, at least I'll get a work-out from it 'cuz the driveway slopes up hill away from the garage [:@].

Thanks again for all the replies.
Slo
Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Here is a easy test for you or anyone without a multimeter to run to see if you have a power drain. Have your battery fully charged. Pop the hood and disconnect the positive terminal. With the positive(+) cable in your hand just kind of touch it to the positive terminal on the battery. If you have a power drain, even a minimal one, the cable will arc when touched to the positive terminal of the battery. Do this an look to see if there is a arc, not only can you see the arc you can hear it also. Doing this in the dark will help the arc show up if there is one present. If you do not get a arc then you dont have a power drain. Then you have to 1,)check battery with tester 2.) put a multimeter on the battery while the engine is running and make sure you are charging the battery...14.4 volts is optimal.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

Here is a easy test for you or anyone without a multimeter to run to see if you have a power drain. Have your battery fully charged. Pop the hood and disconnect the positive terminal. With the positive(+) cable in your hand just kind of touch it to the positive terminal on the battery. If you have a power drain, even a minimal one, the cable will arc when touched to the positive terminal of the battery. Do this an look to see if there is a arc, not only can you see the arc you can hear it also. Doing this in the dark will help the arc show up if there is one present. If you do not get a arc then you dont have a power drain. Then you have to 1,)check battery with tester 2.) put a multimeter on the battery while the engine is running and make sure you are charging the battery...14.4 volts is optimal.
just dont fry your hands . way back when, i fried my fingers building battery packs for my R/C cars and those only use C batteries [8D]. good luck dude.