Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I let these guys touch my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 AM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I let these guys touch my car?

I have been researching putting a dual exhaust on my v6 for a little while now, and decided to do it. Have not decided which one to go with yet(leaning towads pypes from american muscle). Well, I decided to check out a local custom shop in my area that came recommended by a friend before I bought anything.

So I call them and they tell me to bring it in and they will give me a qoute. Everything started off fine, and they put my car up on a lift and looked at it, then said the job would be a piece of cake. Give them 15 minutes and they would have a qoute. 20 mins later, I see the owner(who I was dealing with) and 2 techs under my car staring at it like it is a one of a kind and they have never seen a mustang before. Then the owner comes in and says "you said that is an 05 right? Does that have the 3.8 V6?" I told him no, it is a 4.0. He then pulled out his little book of exhausts and showed me where it said the 05-06 mustangs came with a 3.8 and not a 4.0. He also said they don't make a dual exhaust for my car and got a little huffy with me. So I made him lower my car and pop the hood, and he looked at it and said "huh, must be a misprint". Long story short, he made a phone call and said he can get the parts and do the install for $950! $950???????????? I told him I can buy a complete kit online for under $400. He said if I buy the kit he can install it for $200. I don't have alot of confidence in them touching my stang at this point, but don't know where else to take it to have the work done. Any suggestions?

Also found a body shop that will cut the rear bumper for $50, I thought that was reasonable.

Sorry it's so long winded, these guys just flabbergasted me!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I let these guys touch my car?

I bought a set of JBA's with an H and the local Midas installed the complete system for $75.
I cut the bumper myself ... no big deal you can download a template from the pypes website.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Graypony, I will have to stop by a midas and see what they will charge to install the system.

As for cutting the bumper, uh, I am scared as **** to do that myself, I also have no garage at the moment and it's winter in central ohio, so......unless someone here from central ohio wants to donate their garage to me for a bit!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Albion47

I just bought my '08, the dealer put a GT dual exhaust complete with the GT back pan for $900.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

$900 is freaking expensive. For the dealership to charge that is understandable, but not for a muffler shop. I wouldn't take it there jake, you can get a FRPP dual exhaust for $600 bucks which is the most expensive kit for our cars.

You can get the pypes kit for $300 bucks. I was quoted $150 - $250 for install on everything, so I know you can look around for a better price.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

$900 is freaking expensive. For the dealership to charge that is understandable, but not for a muffler shop. I wouldn't take it there jake, you can get a FRPP dual exhaust for $600 bucks which is the most expensive kit for our cars.

You can get the pypes kit for $300 bucks. I was quoted $150 - $250 for install on everything, so I know you can look around for a better price.
Where are you finding the pypes kit for $300? Cheapest I found was about $360 + $49.99 for the brackets.

Also, they said they would intall for $200 if I bought the kit online. However I am very skeptical letting them work on it after arguing with me about my engine size.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Exhaust.htm

$285, and you get GT take off mufflers for $50 - 80 bucks. Sorry I was thinking you had the mufflers already. But I think the overall feeling is the pypes kit with GT mufflers sound better than the pypes mufflers.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 AM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

I'd wait and install it myself or go midas. I definately wouldn't take it to those idiots
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Exhaust.htm

$285, and you get GT take off mufflers for $50 - 80 bucks. Sorry I was thinking you had the mufflers already. But I think the overall feeling is the pypes kit with GT mufflers sound better than the pypes mufflers.
Well, now you got me thinking, I know I can get GT take offs for around $50. I think that may be the way to go, Thanks ODDYSEY!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elroyjetson_1978

I'd wait and install it myself or go midas. I definately wouldn't take it to those idiots
Yea, I don't think I am bringing my car back there, I will check with Midas this week, and if it's to much, I will just wait until the spring when it warms up and do it myself.

Quick Reply: Should I let these guys touch my car?