Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Duals - Information needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Default FRPP Duals - Information needed

Alright, those of you that know, I got a "citation" for having an aftermarket muffler installed because "Any modification to the exhaust is illegal" (which is bs).

Anyhow, I need some basic information if anyone knows where it's at. I need to know if the setup with the X- pipe is CARB approved or smog legal etc...

How loud really is the FRPP. I saw that it was DRIVE-BY street legal and CARB approved for the dual mufflers alone... I have no idea what the deal is for the whole package that runs for $664 off of the ford racing website.

I went to my local Ford Racing shop to ask about it, they'd ship them for $30 and install for $168.

Can I get the dual mufflers by themselves without the X-Pipe and then just get pipes off the GT? (takeoffs)

Thanks guys...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: FRPP Duals - Information needed

No, it only comes as a kit, you cannot order peices of it. Trust me I have tried.

Regarding the smog/carb/etc. shoud not matter as long as you have your cats on. Me personally I would fight the ticket and tell do some serious research regarding law about exhaust.

The FRPP kit is great though, its not that loud, but if you go WOT it has some kick. It is top quality too.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
JimC

The mufflers are the GTA that are on the Shelby GT aren't they? I'm sure thatyou can order the GTA mufflers themselves, they are listed on the Ford Racing web site.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Theyhave the same tips, but I think the ones in the kit are specifically tuned for the V6 kit. Let me look through my boxes/paperwork from my setup and see if they give me a part number for the mufflers.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
JimC

Here is the part number from the Ford Racing website: M-5230-GTA

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8839

I thought it was the same muffler, but I could be wrong since I've never seen the kit you have in person to check.

Edit: found the parts list on the FRPP web site for the V6 dual exhaustand it says
M-5230-GTA Muffler Kit

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...tM-5230-V6.pdf
Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

They look identical, and considering the GTA's are M-5230-GTA and the V6 kit is M-5230-V6, im going to say they are the same
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Damn... Might as well get the kit then anyhow since it's meant to go together.

So does anyone know though if they are legal in california noise wise? From the soundclips and videoclips I have heard through youtube and through other members' posts, they sound a bit more quieter than my MRT Aeroturbine SINGLE did.

BTW My MRT Aeroturbine when tested, came out at 116 DB. I checked the exhaust laws and here in CA the MAX is 95 DB +/- 1 db.

Even the referee at the check station said he'd help me out and see what he could do if it was relatively close. When he came back he said "NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!" and we both started laughing cuz it WAS VERY LOUD from about 4 blocks down (where they tested it at I could hear it roaring). He said to get something that looks closer to stock so that way the cops wouldn't see my car as a red flag whenever I would pass since my exhaust looks like big bomb on the back. I mentioned the ford racing duals and he said as long as it's a bit quieter than this one and it looks more like stock, it'd be just fine.

I will try and see if FORD RACING has an answer since they did post the "drive by street legal and CARB approved" from their website as well as moss mustangs has.

So far I only see them going for $664 as the cheapest "kit". Anyone else have some secret place or shop that is selling them a little bit cheaper?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Ok I did some research on the Ford Racing website really quick just to double check on the GTA and found this information for it... Keep in mind this is the GTA kit (05-08 Mustang GT).
M-5230-GTA [ul][*]409 stainless body with highly polished 4.0" diameter tips[*]Louder, throatier exhaust note[*]50 state drive-by noise legal (E.O. #D-598)
Note: 409 stainless exhaust material is titanium stabilized ferritic stainless steel.
409 stainless is used in applications where appearance is a secondary consideration to mechanical properties and corrosion resistance and where some weldability is required. An example of 409 stainless usage is catalytic converter assemblies.
409 stainless has excellent forming characteristics and is rust through resistant.
A surface rust will form in most instances. This rust retards further corrosion[/ul]
On the Ford Racing website it states:
Part: M-5230-V6 [*]Fits 2005-08 V-6 Mustang[*]409 stainless body mufflers with highly polished 4.0" diameter tips [*]Louder, "throatier" exhaust note [*]Includes X-pipe [*]Requires minor modification of rear bumper cover [*]50 state drive-by street legal (E.O. #D-598)
It should be just fine then. I checked on that law and the "50 states" include California (lol). I will double check with Ford tomorrow but this about confirms it for me as it being NOISE legal and EMISSIONS legal in CA. They have the GT "NON STREET LEGAL" version which almost looks like a straight pipe setup lmao. This V-6 version though sounds nice, goes along with the law for the time being and looks pretty damn nice too.

At the ford racing dealership, they said it includes these black guards with little "rivets" to cover up the round cutout holes for the exhaust and give it more of a race type of look. I don't really care about 'em but that's pretty sweet of a deal for $664, $30 shipped, $170 installed.

From a website I would be looking at $100 or so shipped i'd think...
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xyster

BTW My MRT Aeroturbine when tested, came out at 116 DB

lol sweeeeet..i cant wait get my duals on
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Before I ordered my kit, I checked with FRPP and the mufflers are the same as the ones on the SHelby GT....no difference. You should be able to find a better price also, I got mine at CJPonyparts for much cheaper with the same shipping cost, but I would check out some of the supporting vendors listed on this site. Oh yeah, it is a big box, really surprised me that it was only $30 to ship.

Quick Reply: FRPP Duals - Information needed