Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Intake Questions

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

You all realize that the Shelby 350 uses the stock tube as well as Ford racing.
yes but if you get a tube that has been designed and flow checked to be better than the stock tube then the combo of the frpp cai and the high flow tube gives you even better results.

the stock tube flows decently but it has too much bend in it to be maximized

Cabbage If it didn't ask you what tube you wanted it probably just comes with the canned tunes preinstalled on the xcal2. C&L is one of the cai options on it
Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

A couple newthoughts crossed my mind today.

1. Should I upgrade my exahust before I get a new CAI or is stock okay for awhile?

2. How come the FRPPpower pack only advertises 10hp gain when all the CAI say atleast 12-15 gain? The ford pack comes with exhaust too so shouldn't that be getting better gains than just the CAI alone?
Also I got a quote on this pack from a local dealer for $925 is that good, what have you guys that have them been paying?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cabbage

A couple newthoughts crossed my mind today.

1. Should I upgrade my exahust before I get a new CAI or is stock okay for awhile?

2. How come the FRPPpower pack only advertises 10hp gain when all the CAI say atleast 12-15 gain? The ford pack comes with exhaust too so shouldn't that be getting better gains than just the CAI alone?
Also I got a quote on this pack from a local dealer for $925 is that good, what have you guys that have them been paying?

Thanks.
1: no, do it in conjunction with the CAI tune.

2: Why does a steak at Ruths Chris cost 3x as much as a local restaurant for the same grade and cut of steak?

First, unless you are going forced induction, the rubber air path is fine, the sixers aren't sucking so much air that the rubber causes significant loss. You need to replace the air filter box, that's the big restricter. Then, since you did that, you need a tune. If you were an old timer you would understand that if you put mroe air down your carb without increasing fuel a little you would run lean which is not good. That's one of the things the tuner does but you don't need to spend hours like we used to, it takes about 8 minutes.

If you want to gain some instant HP and improve mpg on the cheap, replace your axle back exhaust with a GT takeoff. The other brands, flowmasters, mrt, pypes etc etc don't really give you any better performance it's just sound preference. Depending on who you listen to, this simple mod, which takes 30 minutes and you don't need to jack up the car, gives you anywhere from 7-10 more Wheel horsepower. Then, the CAI and tune, if you do 91 octane should give you anywhere from 12-15 more WHP, maybe a little more. You can doo all of that for under $600 and it should take you no more than 1 hour total. As for putting on duals, that is more for style than performance. Since you have a sixer, crawl under the car and look at the size of that exhaust pipe; it's quite large. Again, since you aren't supercharging, it is fine. The OEM muffler is very restrictive thus why an axle back is an easy mod that you should do.

I've been in a sixer that was a stick and had the axle back replaced and a CAI and tune. That son of a gun has some torque (that seat of the pants feel) and runs every bit as hard as a friends' classic 302 mustang. I think it runs harder. With the prices of 07 leftovers, I'm thinking of buying a v6 manual if i can find one to throw in the garage and keep. It would make a good college graduation gift for my daughter and I could spend time tinkering before giving it to her.

Oh, all my kids drive manual transmission cars, they're just too much fun.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

So not on the FRPP pack just get a good CAI and Tune then a single GT takeoff axle back exhaust. Got it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

woah there. exhaust is a whole other issue here. there is a lot of research involved in getting a new axle back as far as sound and drone, be sure to check out the exhaust clips thread:

https://mustangforums.com/m_617216/tm.htm

and check out youtube for clips from just about every axleback out there. i went with the borla axle back, its very pricey but i got a great deal from another forum member, GREAT GREAT sound, a little drone, and it really cleans up the back end from that ugly stock muffler.

as far as tuner brands, i have a diablo, very user friendly and has a lot of CAI support tunes right out of the box. highly recommend it for someone new to modding cars like i am.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

woah there. exhaust is a whole other issue here. there is a lot of research involved in getting a new axle back as far as sound and drone, be sure to check out the exhaust clips thread:

https://mustangforums.com/m_617216/tm.htm

and check out youtube for clips from just about every axleback out there. i went with the borla axle back, its very pricey but i got a great deal from another forum member, GREAT GREAT sound, a little drone, and it really cleans up the back end from that ugly stock muffler.

as far as tuner brands, i have a diablo, very user friendly and has a lot of CAI support tunes right out of the box. highly recommend it for someone new to modding cars like i am.
My mistake, and this isn't a shot at DevilWolf; at times I forget that we're in the age where every purchase, even 99 cents must be researched until you're blue in the face. It's just the times. I get rides in supercharged diesel pickups with drone, classic muscle cars used straight pipes with glass packs..yeh, drone. If you want a quiet performance car go buy a beemer. If you are looking for a down and dirty, simple axle back that you can find for $50-$75 then get a gt take off. It gives you the performance upgrade of the others just not the loud sound. Of course, once you make a decision, you then don't need to spend hours and hours listening to sound clips and videos (which aren't accurate as actually being there). Maybe you want the whole "experience" for a $50, purchase. If you want some quick HP on the cheap, get the GT takeoff, slap it on in 30 minutes and don't look back. Then with respect to the CAI, polished pipe, plastic pipe, red pipe, ford brand, Saks 5th Aveneue brand; on a sixer they all yield about the same. If you like paying $200 more for the same exact results but to say that you have a "name brand" CAI then go for it. Me, I like cash in my pocket. Try www.vmptuning.com you can get the whole enchillada at reasonable cost. Of course he has GT parts too. Please don't pay attention to my signature, that's for the GTs but if you do do the 3'some, axle back, tune and cai, and have a manny, you'll get some extra torque and be over 200WHP. When I had a ride in a v6 that had this done and was a manual, I was pleasantly surprised. The v6 is very affordable (unless you went crazy with options and auto tranny) and for under $20k, you have a nice ride with performance and appearance mods. Or, forego the appearance and for under $18k you have one with the 3'some performance mods only.

Whatever you choose, the whole "experience" routine or just ***** to the wall, this is a car, not curtains for the living room and get it done, you'll be glad you did