Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cobra swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: cobra swap

The hell with the turbo!

It prolly be cheaper but stick to your first idea kid... More original.
More of a challenge to put a 5.4 or 4.6 (Terminator only please) but when you open the hood, that's when you get a boner.
Big valve covers are sexy. Besides, you leave only once.

Check with Sean Hyland, Sullivan performance etc...
Those people specialize in swapping modular blocks in all kinds of differents cars.

I'm tempted to do this myself,if I can find a wrecked LL V6.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

powerhouse411.com
Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elroyjetson_1978

First off 06sick6ix not to be a jerk but you don't have that much hp unless you have added nitrous or an xcharger and forgot to put it in your sig. As for getting up there with cobras and hurting GT's you could always add a strong turbo kit for 5K but be prepared to start in on replacing your rear, tranny, and driveshaft. Fazm is having tranny problems last I heard and hes up there. Rygen and Buckman are up there too.
If you are dead set on a '04 4v cobra swap you'd need the motor, tranny, driveshaft, rear axle, computer, wire harness, fuel system, and possibly a new K member. The motor will fit between the fenders but I'm not sureabout the hood clearance or the motor mount positions. If you are doing this yourself it can be done but if you have it done at a shop it will get expensive and quick. Cost wise it would be cheaper to do a turbo system and you'd still have an insane sleeper.

For hood clearance, couldn't he just get an upgraded raised hood?

06sick6ix, please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
z06stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Anything is possible in terms of swapping in a new motor. All it takes is cash, time, and knowledge. I don't knnow of anyone who has done a Cobra motor swap, but there are some interesting V8 conversions underway (5.4L-4v FI, 5.4L-3v FI, and 4.6L-3v FI immediately come to mind). Is anyone doing a 5.4L-3v NA conversion yet? That would be interesting to me...

Regarding the OP's mods, click on his name and look at his profile - his mods are listed in his signature, which wasn't posted in this thread. Don't be too hard on him for claiming 290hp - we all had a steep learning curve when we started.
There is a couple guys that are doing the 5.4 but not NA. One has a turbo setup and the other had a $ custom intake manifold build for a supercharger I think. I have a 4.6 3v swap going on now. I already have the motor, trans etc. The hard part about the 5.4 3v NA is finding someone to make the adapter plates to mount the 4.6 intake manifold to the 5.4. There is some places that make alot of 5.4 4v adapter plates but can't find anyone for the 3v. I would get the 5.4 3v in a heartbeat if someone could find somewhere as I could get a new takeout 5.4 3v for a $1000. I got my 4.6 3v for $850.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Nsomnia
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06sick6ix

Stock V6 210
Tunable Induction/ X Cal2Max- 32.4 Min - 25HP
93 Octane(42.4 w/ gt exhaust)
Screamn' Deamon Coil10 HP
Livewires14 HP
MMR Throttle Body Spacer 8HP
Race Pipe11 HP
+

Not to be an ***, but just to make sure your informed: The tunes add 32 horse on a GT probably, but I woudnt think a V6, dyno tuned maybe? 25 seems better. A gt exhaust will free up a few yes. And it pretty much ends there. A coil wont add any more power, if the spark ignites the fuel, its making max power, Wires wont add any for the same reason. Throttle body spacer doesnt add anything, the computer will let you burn 14.7:1 for optimal power all the time, not matter how much you add to the intake system, as long as nothing is limited. I have no idea what a race pipe is however.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

Yes a raised hood i.e.: Cowl induction would correct any top clearance issues.

Issues finding adaptor plates are pointless if he gets a whole motor otherwise they make it even more interesting.

I had a Poweraid tb spacer and my car has ran great since i took it off. Paul from Paul's High Performance explained to me that our cars have whats called tumble heads meaning they have something along the lines of cmcv plates attached to them and our intake is too long to make use of the extra length.

and with just a cai/tune and axle back the best numbers I'd ever heard our found were 201 at the wheels with a dyno tune and 196 with a canned tune.

Please keep us posted as to what you do though cause we all love hearing about successes modding our beloved 4.0 LOL

P.S. Stock with an auto is closer to 175ish and a little better with a stick
Old 01-19-2008, 07:38 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

why couldnt you just run the 5.4 intake on the 5.4? why does it have to use a 4.6 intake manifold? ive seen this on a few posts and it doesnt make sense to me. why cant you use an intake manifold (stock or aftermarket) for tha specific engine?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06sick6ix

first off, i realize that the hp numbers i posted arent %100 correct partially because i rounded up by 5hp,but you are right. i did add them up, but by no means am i saying thats at the wheels. i know that with the mods i have 290 is a dream but with the numbers posted on sites(which are no way accurate) i am probably closer to pushing 250 at most. as most of yall know the stock six bangers have about 185 at the wheels. but with just a intake/tune it pushes that number to at least 200. there is a list at the bottom with the advertized max hp gains and you can do the math yourself. with the turbo comment, i would love to but the head struts on the new 4.0's aren't very strong and tend to break in high boost situations which i would be running. but its a possibility. if you could post any sites with turbosystems on it that would be great.

Stock V6 210
Tunable Induction/ X Cal2Max- 32.4 Min - 25HP
93 Octane(42.4 w/ gt exhaust)
Screamn' Deamon Coil10 HP
Livewires14 HP
MMR Throttle Body Spacer 8HP
Race Pipe11 HP
+

thanks for your help though guys. contructive criticism is a great way of learning and i hope to have the real numbers up in a few weeks after i take it to a dyno.

With these mods, I'm thinking more like 235 horsepower at the flywheel. With the coil, wires and spacer, I'll bet it's more like 1-3 hp.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanICON

With these mods, I'm thinking more like 235 horsepower at the flywheel. With the coil, wires and spacer, I'll bet it's more like 1-3 hp.
Common consensus on here is that all three combine for maybe 2hp @ the flywheel but noone has dyno tested them on hereto my knowledge
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Those numbers are even aggressive for the GT. For the v6, CAI, premium fuel tune and a new axle back should get you about 22-25 WHP more. So, with a manny tranny v6 putting out around 180-185 WHP stock, you could get as high as 210WHP but definitely between 200-210 WHP. As for crank HP, probably about 250ish maybe a tad more but WHP is what matters. If you have an auto, maybe 190-192 WHP with those mods.

it's a simple math equation and if you look at it with an open mind, you can clearly see when the BS begins and reality ends. 210 crank HP to begin stock, maybe a few more but so what. if you believe that simple bolt ons can add 75 crank HP, then that means you believe you can get a 36% increase in HP from simple bolt ons. math is math, so with that formula the GTS should be able to realize over 400 crank HP or about 350 WHP with simple bolt ons.

The reality is if you can add 15% with simple bolt ons you are doing good. Or to put it simply, with bolt ons and a premium tune, and a manual transmission, you can just about get your Wheel Horsepower to be what the stock car advertises as crank HP. Yes, the 10-15% loss from a manual transmission drive train loss (around 15-20% for autos)The formula works for GTs as well. Autos will be hard pressed to get wheel HP to be equal to stock crank HP with bolt ons

If you want more, then your bolt ons will need to include bolting in new heads, cams and if that isn't enough, bolting on forced induction. Math does not lie; it amazes me how many people want to disregard it. There wouldn't be a good supercharger/turbo aftermarket if it was this easy

Quick Reply: cobra swap