Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cobra swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM
06sick6ix

Default cobra swap

hey im a new guy here but i'm not new to the stang banger life style. i own a 06 v6 stang with about 290hp but im looking for a little more power. most the people around my area have GTs or Cobras and its just imposible to keep up with modified ones. dont take me wrong, i've walked some stock and slightly modified GTs but i would love to take on some cobra's. the only way that i have found to do that is to get heads, cams, and a supercharger with about 16psi. i was wondering if anyone has or knows of someone who has completed or in the process of dropping in an 03-04 cobra block into a new v6. i know the heads and cams would be more simple, but with all the money i would have to put into instalation and parts, i think it would be cheaper(not to mention more options down the road). i would really like to know if it could be done with a little work or if it would take alot of money and mods to the engine bay.

thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: cobra swap

What other mods are you running on your 6'erto get 290HP? With the mods in your sig you'd be lucky to see 220.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

why dont you just buy a GT and supercharger it?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

What other mods are you running on your 6'erto get 290HP? With the mods in your sig you'd be lucky to see 220.
+++++

++++100 on that, please share the details with us
Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

+1,000,000I don't see a mods list. Post em. It'snot possible right now to do that n/a without heads/cam. With heads/cam, your still gonna need some a cai/tune(probably 93 octane)and possibly a hi-flow muffler to make that. Eh, don't we all wish we could hit 290BHP with some bolt-ons.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Anything is possible in terms of swapping in a new motor. All it takes is cash, time, and knowledge. I don't knnow of anyone who has done a Cobra motor swap, but there are some interesting V8 conversions underway (5.4L-4v FI, 5.4L-3v FI, and 4.6L-3v FI immediately come to mind). Is anyone doing a 5.4L-3v NA conversion yet? That would be interesting to me...

Regarding the OP's mods, click on his name and look at his profile - his mods are listed in his signature, which wasn't posted in this thread. Don't be too hard on him for claiming 290hp - we all had a steep learning curve when we started.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah, i'm sure he just added up all the biggest gains claimed from his mods advertisements and added it to his "210hp". its a very common noob strategy. i'm sure the well knowledgeable members on this forum will help show him the way.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

First off 06sick6ix not to be a jerk but you don't have that much hp unless you have added nitrous or an xcharger and forgot to put it in your sig. As for getting up there with cobras and hurting GT's you could always add a strong turbo kit for 5K but be prepared to start in on replacing your rear, tranny, and driveshaft. Fazm is having tranny problems last I heard and hes up there. Rygen and Buckman are up there too.
If you are dead set on a '04 4v cobra swap you'd need the motor, tranny, driveshaft, rear axle, computer, wire harness, fuel system, and possibly a new K member. The motor will fit between the fenders but I'm not sureabout the hood clearance or the motor mount positions. If you are doing this yourself it can be done but if you have it done at a shop it will get expensive and quick. Cost wise it would be cheaper to do a turbo system and you'd still have an insane sleeper.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Wow I think yall scared him off lol. I don't understand wow people think we are stupid?

"Well Geez I will go on the mustang forum, and lie about my hp rating because people don't know **** on a Mustang Forum."
Old 01-18-2008, 05:07 PM
06sick6ix

first off, i realize that the hp numbers i posted arent %100 correct partially because i rounded up by 5hp,but you are right. i did add them up, but by no means am i saying thats at the wheels. i know that with the mods i have 290 is a dream but with the numbers posted on sites(which are no way accurate) i am probably closer to pushing 250 at most. as most of yall know the stock six bangers have about 185 at the wheels. but with just a intake/tune it pushes that number to at least 200. there is a list at the bottom with the advertized max hp gains and you can do the math yourself. with the turbo comment, i would love to but the head struts on the new 4.0's aren't very strong and tend to break in high boost situations which i would be running. but its a possibility. if you could post any sites with turbosystems on it that would be great.

Stock V6 210
Tunable Induction/ X Cal2Max- 32.4 Min - 25HP
93 Octane(42.4 w/ gt exhaust)
Screamn' Deamon Coil10 HP
Livewires14 HP
MMR Throttle Body Spacer 8HP
Race Pipe11 HP
+

thanks for your help though guys. contructive criticism is a great way of learning and i hope to have the real numbers up in a few weeks after i take it to a dyno.

Quick Reply: cobra swap