Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how much faster do you think I'll be than a GT with the IC X?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how much faster do you think I'll be than a GT with the IC X?

ORIGINAL: elroyjetson_1978

first off there are exaust headers (shorty or long tube)
actual LCAs for traction...The stock lcas suck
performance plugs, wires, and coil for better spark.
dyno tuning
Drag Radials at the track

I'm sure there are more if I think long enough about it

P.S. water meth injection is great for that system
"performance plugs, wires, and coil for better spark. " I don't know if I beleive in doing anything more than adding colder plugs, has anyone shown dyno gains with "better" plug systems?

I'm also interested in how much HP headers give, I'd hope about 8-12 for the money.

I'm still looking for the ball park figure. I also forgot to mention I'm using 3.73's.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

If the ones they will be selling are exactly the same as the prototype, you should expect about 320rwhp on an auto and 340rwhp with an manual (DynoJet) with full bolt ons. Oh, and a good custom tune, as any other f/i system, is definitely required.

"Full bolt ons" include:
-H/O X kit
-water/meth kit (dont neglect this one, I am guessing it is worth ~15whp)
-TB
-full exhaust (headers to mufflers)
-ignition wires and coil pack
-alum driveshaft

If you are not a fan of water/meth cooling, and still want extra power, you could probably safely run 12-14psi with the aftercooler installed.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure my car is putting down close to if not better stock GT HP/TQ. Non-intercooled, no meth, Cali-spec set-up. Adding just the hi-po should put you close to 300 rwhp. Intercooler will allow the boost to go up which should transfer into more HP. An article by Ken Belle on SC myths states 1 psi boost should equalan 7% increase in hp (Modified Mustangs, December 2007). I hope to expect a fairly significant increase in hp with the IC running 12 psi rather than the 6 psi I'm currently at. I'm pretty certain the 7% hp gain is at the crank rather than the wheels but doing the math from my car stock, that number is pretty close. Anyone care to comment on this because my knowledge is limited. Essentially the S/C is able to run a higher psi because the IC is able to handle the extreme heat caused by this process. Methanol is a similar process but cools the air down at the inlet pipe using a spray method. I know I've gone off on a bit of a tangent but the point is an intercooled X should be capable of smoking a stock GT and lightly modded GT's. The GT will have to have it's own power adder to beat the intercooled X. I encourage debate on this because like I said, my knowledge is limited to just book reading and not actual experience.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

first off there are exaust headers (shorty or long tube)
actual LCAs for traction...The stock lcas suck
performance plugs, wires, and coil for better spark.
dyno tuning
Drag Radials at the track

I'm sure there are more if I think long enough about it

P.S. water meth injection is great for that system
"performance plugs, wires, and coil for better spark. " I don't know if I beleive in doing anything more than adding colder plugs, has anyone shown dyno gains with "better" plug systems?

I'm also interested in how much HP headers give, I'd hope about 8-12 for the money.

I'm still looking for the ball park figure. I also forgot to mention I'm using 3.73's.
It's not really for immediate hp as much as being able to tune the timing and spark for better combustion resulting in more power

pat6674u the xcharger hi-po will walk a bone stock gt but a mildly modded gt will walk a xcharger hi-po. with the IC the x should, with tuning be back to walking bolt-on gts
Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I have the HiPo kit at 3.0 PSI... it seems this setup puts out about 265 RWHP, which equates to probably slightly over 300 at the crank. That would put the 3.0 HiPo kit in the general range of a GT... as others have said, so many other things would actually dictate the results in a drag race.

I think I heard the intercooer is worth like 35 degrees cooling? I think current estimates are for 35 more RWHP... this puts you at about 300 RWHP for the 3.0 HiPo kit, easilybetter than a stock GT. Now go to the 2.8 pulley, and you are probably looking at 335 RWHP or 365 at the crank... easily better than an CAI'ed GT.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Should something be done to the rear axle? I heard it craps out past ~350rwhp.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Potato

Yes, the rear should be built when entering the mid 300rwhp's. However, I really doubt that any S/C kit is going to bring a car there as easily as most people are hoping with the IC X. In reality, most IC H/O X's will probably be around the 300rwhp mark. Look at the Vortechs and Prochargers if you want to see what the IC H/O X numbers will look like.

Really, I would not worry about the rear end with any S/C system if you do not plan on putting drag radials on it. I am planning to run about 340rwhp, and the only thing I have done to the rear end is a FRPP tlok.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

pat6674u the xcharger hi-po will walk a bone stock gt but a mildly modded gt willrun witha xcharger hi-po. with the IC the x will walkbolt-on gts and run with or take full-bolt ongtswith equal drivers. And I forgot to mention if all you do is street runs, The x-chargers low endtorque is insane, so you'll probably walk all bolt-on gt's on the street and a lot of othercars w/more hpthan you.
Fixed^

And as other's have said, to max out your gains for the f/i Legion5, You can do:
-Throttle body-10rwhp tuned on f/i engine(guess)
-headers-10rwhp for shorties morefor lt'son f/i engine(guess)
-Wet-x kit-10-15rwhp
-aluminum driveshaft
-heads and cam tuned for x-charger(if you wanna go that far but it's mucho dinero and will show a nicegain)
There's other weight reduction androtational mass stuff you can do if you want more speed. Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Potato

I have an aftermarket rear axel with a limited slip, it's lighter than stock and good for 600hp.