Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

VMP MAF Housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

Default VMP MAF Housing

Hey guys, I am still shopping (being a senior in college its kinda tough with money to make a bad decision) and I have a question as to why VMP offers their MAF housing which is 3" and not the 83mm MAF with the C&L intake.
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=92

Does anyone know the reason why they send you a smaller MAF than the C&L one.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
parched_son

Default RE: VMP MAF Housing

Cabbage, here is the reply I got from Justin (VMP) today. His support of the stock housing, with only S&B filter, is supported on his website. Basically he states there is no difference, or gain, from going with the C&L or BBK.

" Hi, this is what i would recomend: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=92 the SS GT muffler will last 10x longer than the MAC junk

thanks,
Justin Starkey
VMP Tuning Inc
Owner/Tuner
Ford and GM Custom Tuning
Mobile DynoJet 224xLC
www.VMPTuning.com
To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply."
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

+1.....supposedly, 3" is as big as you need to go to get maximum airflow. anything more wont hurt, but is excessive. this is based off justin's results. i love the looks and high quality of my C&L even though the 83mm may not be necessary. at least i can now be sure that restriction is at its absolute minimum .
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

Does anyone have a picture of VMP's CAI. It looks like it bolts directly onto the original MAF tube? Also is there no heat shield provided in his package.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
parched_son

X3 is $5.00 more than the X2. USB cable is $3.00 more. No fancy tubing, but you get the GT takeoff muffler in the price ($599.00).The C&L sales for $625.00 and does not include the GT takeoff muffler- PS

From VMPtuning website$599.00 deal)

FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING in the continental US The ultimate low-cost 05+ V6 Mustang Performance Package. Includes: [ul][*]Custom Programmed SCT X-Cal2 Flasher with up to 3 tunes[*]VMP Intake with 3" ID MAF housing, S&B Filter, and mounting bracket[*]05+ GT Takeoff Muffler with 3" stainless tip, direct bolt-in (no welding) for stock V6 Muffler.[/ul] All of these parts combined add 25 Rear Wheel Horse Power and 20 Rear Wheel Torque.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Justin knows his stuff. I run his 4.0 performance intake special(his 3 in. maf housing ,S&B hipo filter and stock inlet pipe). Car runs GREAT!!! and gets very good(27-29 mpg)highway mileage too.Excellent customer service.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 PM
parched_son

Hey, in fairness to other options out there...... www.v6mustangstuff.com has another option. I don't know anything about these either, nor do I endorse anyone. I'm a newbie to cars too. I grew up riding bikes....

BBK Throttle Body 05-08 V6 This new 70mm throttle body for the 4.0L V6 out flows the factory unit by 30% resulting in an additional 7-10 horsepower. This throttle body can be installed in about 30 minutes and works well on stock or modified applications. Like all BBK Power-Plus Series throttle bodies, each unit is CNC machined and assembled with OEM quality components for everyday use. #1765 $299.99

You'd still need CAI, tuner, muffler..... so you're up to 899.98 + $5.00 for X3 and $3.00 for USB cable.

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05Engine.htm

3/4 way down on the right hand column
Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

So no heat sheild then? right? I think that I would rather go with his $25 more C&L if it wasn't for him notgiving usthe original C&L MAF housing and letting us decide if we want to use his or theirs. Whats he using those C&L MAF housing's for anyways? He must have a lot of them laying around if he's taking them out of the package.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
parched_son

ORIGINAL: Cabbage

So no heat sheild then? right? I think that I would rather go with his $25 more C&L if it wasn't for him notgiving usthe original C&L MAF housing and letting us decide if we want to use his or theirs. Whats he using those C&L MAF housing's for anyways? He must have a lot of them laying around if he's taking them out of the package.
Don't forget though... the C&L package does not include the GT takeoff muffler. More air in, more air out....
VMP's dyno shows the heatshield and tubing is not needed for additional gains.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

I know it doesn't include the GTA. I never said that I wanted that package with the three. I am going to buy the Ford Racing Borla Muf.

What I am worried about is that I am not getting the full C&L original package with my order.

Quick Reply: VMP MAF Housing