Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

VMP MAF Housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: VMP MAF Housing

ORIGINAL: Cabbage

I know it doesn't include the GTA. I never said that I wanted that package with the three. I am going to buy the Ford Racing Borla Muf.

What I am worried about is that I am not getting the full C&L original package with my order.
if you're that concerned with the original c&l MAF housing, ask him if he indeed does have them in his shop and if he would be willing to sell you one. OR, buy the tuner/C&L combo from bamma then get some additional tunes from VMP. you do have options. i think vmp offers some great deals but if you want something specific that they dont offer, there's plenty of other options that aren't much different in price. good luck dude.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
parched_son

Well, yea. For $625.00 that is exactly what you get.

"Package Includes: [ul][*]Custom Programmed SCT X-Cal2 Flasher with up to 3 tunes[*]C&L Full Intake tube with VMP 3" ID MAF housing, S&B Filter, and heat shield
[/ul]
Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

the heat shield isnt gonna do much. its a thin sheet of plastic that still allows hot air past it. essentially all youre getting is a free-flowing filter and a larger maf housing. unless you can find a way to get external air into the engine bay directed at the intake, youre not getting any difference. the heat shield is simply a selling tool.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

the heat shield isnt gonna do much. its a thin sheet of plastic that still allows hot air past it. essentially all youre getting is a free-flowing filter and a larger maf housing. unless you can find a way to get external air into the engine bay directed at the intake, youre not getting any difference. the heat shield is simply a selling tool.
the c&l "heat shroud" is so flimsy that i agree that it wouldnt make much difference to remove it. i'm sure that it MIGHT help a little bit with keeping out some hot air and MAY reduce air turbulance from the fan, etc. but i doubt it would be enough to notice any difference at all. i think the heat shield on other intakes is mostly for marketing, as 07lane40 stated, and also for looks to compliment the intake itself. demolet has some cool looking heat shields.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

If you are speaking about VMP, his shop is in central Florida so it would be safe to say that some of his dyno runs are made in outside temperatures above 80 degrees, even above 90 degrees.

If you are worried about removing heat from under the hood, which isn't a bad thing to consider with or without a CAI, then go to a shop and ask them to either;

custom fit a couple of grills into the top of your hood to allow heat to escape

purchase an aftermarket hood with vents

a functional scoop will also allow some heat to escape

When it's 85 or above outside and you are sitting at idle, in traffic with the A/C cranking I'm not sure there is much that you can do but venting would be the best

If you think a heat shield on a CAI will yield a tremendous gain; think again. You should buy one with a shield if you like the looks, not for gains. Heck, the metal pipe ones will hold more heat than plastic or rubber ones; that's called heat soak.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

If you are speaking about VMP, his shop is in central Florida so it would be safe to say that some of his dyno runs are made in outside temperatures above 80 degrees, even above 90 degrees.

If you are worried about removing heat from under the hood, which isn't a bad thing to consider with or without a CAI, then go to a shop and ask them to either;

custom fit a couple of grills into the top of your hood to allow heat to escape

purchase an aftermarket hood with vents

a functional scoop will also allow some heat to escape

When it's 85 or above outside and you are sitting at idle, in traffic with the A/C cranking I'm not sure there is much that you can do but venting would be the best

If you think a heat shield on a CAI will yield a tremendous gain; think again. You should buy one with a shield if you like the looks, not for gains. Heck, the metal pipe ones will hold more heat than plastic or rubber ones; that's called heat soak.
Good post. I should also add that all dyno runs I've seen were made with the hood up and a fan directed at the front of the car. That being the case, on a dyno the heat shield will show little to no affect on the numbers. However, while driving the heat shield may help deflect some of the underhooh heat. Let's face it, most the CAI's available are not true cold air kits. They bring in the ambient air temperature under the hood. If you can direct cooler air to the CAI, then the incoming air should be more dense due to the lower temperature (which will produce more HP). I've seen air ducts made from the front bumper to the CAI, dynamat added to the heat shield, and even folks who have removed their driver's side headlight at the track to get cooler air to their CAI. The little things add up IMO, and I know after each run that my aluminum C&Lintake is cooler when I pull the headlight out at the track (guess I spilled the beans)...