Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Almost bought my V6 Pony tonight from a dealership... Was this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default Almost bought my V6 Pony tonight from a dealership... Was this a good deal?

I was at a Ford dealership tonight and I almost bought the V6 I've been shopping for. For those in California, I was at the West Covina Auto Mall. Anyway, the dealer was pushing hard, and the final deal he laid on the table was $360 a month for 72 months. I was this close to buying it, but at the last second, I backed out. I'll buy the car soon enough, but something just didn't feel right about the deal. Anyway, does anyone think this was a good deal, or can I do better? Here were the details on the car:
--2008 V6 with Pony Package
--Interior Upgrade Package

So the full term of the purchase would be $25,920 over 72 months. Deal or no deal? Thanks for the help...
Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Almost bought my V6 Pony tonight from a dealership... Was this a good deal?

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

I was at a Ford dealership tonight and I almost bought the V6 I've been shopping for. For those in California, I was at the West Covina Auto Mall. Anyway, the dealer was pushing hard, and the final deal he laid on the table was $360 a month for 72 months. I was this close to buying it, but at the last second, I backed out. I'll buy the car soon enough, but something just didn't feel right about the deal. Anyway, does anyone think this was a good deal, or can I do better? Here were the details on the car:
--2008 V6 with Pony Package
--Interior Upgrade Package

So the full term of the purchase would be $25,920 over 72 months. Deal or no deal? Thanks for the help...
Well Im not on the west coastI am on the East coast and a V6 Premium sells for 20,720 I know cal. cars are packed with more anti polution garb but 5 grand more? get on the Internet and go to carmax or some place like that and do a 50 mile serch for a car and you can get a better deal that way. Spend the money you save on Mod parts for your new ride. Good Luck I love my Yellow Tang
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 PM
ponyboy643

Default RE: Almost bought my V6 Pony tonight from a dealership... Was this a good deal?

360 * 72 = 25920
That seems about right for me if that's all you have to pay for: that would include car price+options+tax+license fee+interest rate.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 PM
moonstang
2nd Gear Member

Don't negotiate payments on your car - negotiate price. What's the price for the car and what's the interest rate they are quoting for you?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moonstang

Don't negotiate payments on your car - negotiate price. What's the price for the car and what's the interest rate they are quoting for you?
Good point... I didn't even ask what interest rate they were giving me. I know it sounds stupid on my part, but I didn't. All they said was that they could beat the interest rate my credit union was giving me, which was 7% for 72 months. Doing some research, I found that the invoice on the car with the options I was getting is around $22,000.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

How much was the stang over the dealer's invoice? $500, $1,000...what was it? Or did you negotiate off the MSRP? The stang i got I bought $100 over dealer's invoice in July 06...07 models were not out yet...not sure your dealer is willing to negotiate off dealer's invoice this early in the year, but you could try...good luck.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

How much was the stang over the dealer's invoice? $500, $1,000...what was it? Or did you negotiate off the MSRP? The stang i got I bought $100 over dealer's invoice in July 06...07 models were not out yet...not sure your dealer is willing to negotiate off dealer's invoice this early in the year, but you could try...good luck.
He never gave a number for how much over invoice he was, but he said he was "just above invoice." But somehow, I don't think he was "just" over, or at least I don't think he was based on numbers I've found online.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
BlackStang08
1st Gear Member

Edmunds.com Definitely go on there and see how much what you want is worth. I showed my printout to the dealership and they honered the 3000 price difference. definitely worth a try.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackStang08

Edmunds.com Definitely go on there and see how much what you want is worth. I showed my printout to the dealership and they honered the 3000 price difference. definitely worth a try.
Just went to Edmunds and the car (with all the options I listed above) listed as invoice was $21,016... I'm starting to think that I'm glad I walked away from the deal.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I paid $18,590.00 for my pony package with8/10's of a mileon the odo.
I let them keep the hold back. Wasn't worth haggling over.
If you pay more than $19k and some change, you're throwing away too much money.
Oh, and I paid cash for mine too. Makes a difference.
Those of you who can't fork up cash on the spot, get pre-approved financing before you go shopping. To the dealer it's the same as having your own cash. Money talks and does make a huge difference when your making a deal.

Quick Reply: Almost bought my V6 Pony tonight from a dealership... Was this a good deal?