Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much RWHP is going fully Royal Purple in a v6 x-charged mustang worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How much RWHP is going fully Royal Purple in a v6 x-charged mustang worth?

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

0, no more air in/out of the motor = no more HP
Actually, you CAN gain some RWHP by reducing friction losses in the drivetrain (not to mention doing other stuff like reducing rotational mass as well)

You're not really increasing the overall HP of the engine, you're reducing the portion that gets converted to friction and hence heat, as it makes the trip to the wheels.

If there weren't such losses inherent in the drivetrain, FWHP and RWHP would be equal. You can't eliminate drivetrain loss, but it can be somewhat reduced.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How much RWHP is going fully Royal Purple in a v6 x-charged mustang worth?

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

will royal purple tranny fluid make the shifting smoother?
I've been running RP Synchromax for well over a year. It made a very noticable improvement in the shifting upon install. It's still a T5, It's still notchy, but it is smoother.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Torch_Vert

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I've heard that running royal purple in all parts of the car was worth about 10hp. This includes the engine oil, transmission oil, diff oil and any others.
I run Royal Purple in my engine, transmission and differential. Trust me, it's excellent stuff for protecting moving parts, but no way are you going to see a 10HP gain on our cars. I'd estimate 2, maybe 3 HP tops.

If you look at the videos on RP's own site, they're mostly talking about a 2% gain and they're testing on some pretty high HP motors to start with (400 HP+) and switching them over from standard petroleum based lubricants tonet around an 8-10HP gain

On our 4.0's that are putting down say 185 RWHP (normally aspirated), add 2% to that and you'd get a projected gain of about 3.7 HP, but since the cars come from the factory with a semi-synthetic oil in the motor, you won't see quite that much.

X-Charged, say 285 RWHP x 2% =5.7HP, realistically, With the X-Charger, I'd estimate maybe a 4-5HP gain at best.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade. I'm a big believer in RP's products and use them myself. I just don't want you to go out and invest the money in a complete switchover only to be disappointed. It's great stuff, but there are no miracles.
hey that was good man, it was the realistic quality post I was mostly looking for. I appreciae the info.