Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

window down on door opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 PM
zoomer

Default window down on door opening

Does anyone have the same problem as me with my 2005 convertible? When I open the door the window moves down slightly .I understand this is to make a snug fit with the top. But When its winter my windows are frozen and wont move down when I open the door so I end up forcing the frozen window past the convertible top which I think will wreck my top sooner or later.Is this a design flaw? Not taking into account frozen windows?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: window down on door opening

ORIGINAL: zoomer

Does anyone have the same problem as me with my 2005 convertible? When I open the door the window moves down slightly .I understand this is to make a snug fit with the top. But When its winter my windows are frozen and wont move down when I open the door so I end up forcing the frozen window past the convertible top which I think will wreck my top sooner or later.Is this a design flaw? Not taking into account frozen windows?
I've never thought about that. Interesting point.

Also, I was also under the impression that the windows went down to let the air escape when closing the door. Maybe that was just one more plus...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

No it's not a design flaw the window acctualy goes up underneith the top. Ford just never took into consideration of the ice build up on the window. Yes you might damage the top if you keep trying to open and close the door with the window up, but i would worrie more about how cold the glass is and maybe breaking the window by forcing it under the top.
I would probably just pour some hot water on it to clear the ice before trying to open the door.
A coffee cup full before you head off to work in the morning.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I just use an ice scraper to break the ice at the bottom of the glass.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptop6

No it's not a design flaw the window acctualy goes up underneith the top. Ford just never took into consideration of the ice build up on the window. Yes you might damage the top if you keep trying to open and close the door with the window up, but i would worrie more about how cold the glass is and maybe breaking the window by forcing it under the top.
I would probably just pour some hot water on it to clear the ice before trying to open the door.
A coffee cup full before you head off to work in the morning.
Bad idea. Unless the water has alcohol or some kind of de-icer in it you will end up with a worse problem than when you started. Water (even hot water) + cold = ice. Last thing you want to do is pour more water onto something that's already frozen.

Just open it slowly. You'll notice the outer door panel pulls away from the glass a bit which will help to break some of the ice and let the glass go down. When I wash my car in the winter and it's really cold out, in the morning I just open the doors really slowly and then close them slowly, open again, close, etc, repeat a few times and this usually makes the problem go away. Also turn the heat up in the car and you will help thaw them from the inside.

If you wash, what I do is take a paper towel after the wash and kind of put it between the outside felt liner stuff and the glass to absorb some of that excess water, and that seems to help as well.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Like others have said, just open it slowly. Ford knows it snows in our country. It is to let air out on closing. Otherwise, you'd blow up your top. Actually, some makes have baffles under the rear seat for that purpose. Don't know if our have them or not.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 AM
07 Shelby GT
2nd Gear Member

Would a car cover work? I live in Texas so we rarely have this problem, but I thought it might keep the moisture off. Just a thought
Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Shelby GT

Would a car cover work? I live in Texas so we rarely have this problem, but I thought it might keep the moisture off. Just a thought

It would, but I have found from previous experience, that a cover out in the open elements isn't such a good thing. Grit gets on them and great care is needed to keep from sanding down your paint each time you put it on. They are wonderful in a garage for a long term storage, but on a DD, I would just fight the elements. It doesn't snow or freeze rain everyday. Even up here, we only get 1 -2 storms a week.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Like others have said, just open it slowly. Ford knows it snows in our country. It is to let air out on closing. Otherwise, you'd blow up your top. Actually, some makes have baffles under the rear seat for that purpose. Don't know if our have them or not.
The baffles are in the rear trunk area on the sides.
They allow fresh air to be drawn in and it exits there.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

FORD a better IDEA
The design team work very hard on this, its not there fault this car was only to be sold in the lower states that never see snow or have to drive in it with only power to one wheel. LOL I still LOVE this car maybe moleskin on the inside for tint and seal skin on the outside for ICE. LOL

Quick Reply: window down on door opening