Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question About 5k Mile Servicing

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
XtremeRage
1st Gear Member

Default Question About 5k Mile Servicing

Hey guys I have a quick questions that hopefully one of you have had experience with and was wondering if you could enlighten me and help me out. Now although I read this infomation... I am still not sure.

A tuner (reflashing) will change the program that your car runs on. To avoid warranty issues just "Flash" back to stock before having it serviced. It's really a case by case basis depending on your dealer. Read this post by scrming:

"If you flash your car can the dealership tell? Yes, they can... No, they can't.... The debate has raged on long enough!!!

Here is the answer I got back from my sources inside of Ford engineering... I even had multiple sources confirm this... I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me... however I basically went to the horse's mouth on this one...

As it stands TODAY, all the dealership can tell is the last time the computer has been reset. Notice I said reset, not reflashed. Yes, reflashing does set this reset "date". But guess what... so does disconnecting the battery! LOL! So the dealership has no way of know what caused the reset... Simply tell them you left your lights on! LOL! Or in my case the bottle heaters! Ok, so maybe not the bottle heaters! LOL!

Now Ford does have a way to download the programming in the computer... if you did not reflash the car to stock then they will obviously see the differences and no you reflashed the car... however if you put the computer back to stock then all they will be able to tell is that the comptuer was reset... again... oops... i killed my battery... LOL!

Hopefully this will put an end to the debate...."

-scrming
Basically my pony has just reached the 5,000 miles mark and its now time to bring it in for the first check up as mentioned in the ford service manual, which is supposed to only Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise, Perform multi-point inspection, and Change engine oil and replace oil filter (up to 5 quarts of oil).

Now since I currently have a C&L CAI and my car is tuned with an Xcal3, does that mean that even for this simple checkup at the first 5k miles that they still may try to read my computer and that I should return my engine to stock, and that I will have to also be forced to replace my C&L with the stock box (since it says not to run a CAI that needs a tune without one as it can do damage to the engine) and do all that work just for a simple inspection and oil change? Also, let's say I dont return my computer to stock and they decide to look at the computer info and find that it is aftermarket, what possible could happen to my warranty?

Thanks for all the help guys it's really appreciated.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question About 5k Mile Servicing

If you are taking it to the dealership return it to stock. It is not uncommon for the dealership to update software that has been realesed by Ford to your car. You do not want them to find a tune, as they could very easily void your warranty.

Think about it, the tune changes air/fuel ratio, shift point, shift firmness, all of which affect your engine and transmission, while it shouldn't cause any problems Ford cannot be responsible for some tuner they have no quality control over. Be safe, return it to stock and spend the 15 mins to save yourself a large headache.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Plus you do not have to take your car to the dealer for routine service work. I only take my Mustang to the dealer for warranty work. I change my own oil,rotate my own tires and do my own inspection. Some dealers usethese 5,10,15,000 mile checkupsas a way to soak customers for basis service work. Theywill not void your warranty for routine service work done elsewhere. Also having it done somewhere else is usually a lot less expensive.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Don't take it to the dealer.They want your money only.If you do go to the dealer, return to stock and disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Do it the night before and tell them you charged the battery. If they ask. The 5k and 10k checks are no biggy anyway.The 15k service looks more intense and my mechanic next door neighbor will do that one.
10,300 miles btw.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my first mustang

Plus you do not have to take your car to the dealer for routine service work. I only take my Mustang to the dealer for warranty work. I change my own oil,rotate my own tires and do my own inspection. Some dealers usethese 5,10,15,000 mile checkupsas a way to soak customers for basis service work. Theywill not void your warranty for routine service work done elsewhere. Also having it done somewhere else is usually a lot less expensive.
Ditto! But, I use local Sears for oil change and tire rotation. Reach 100K, will probably have Ford put new plugs in it.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You have a 50/50 chance the dealership will screw up anything they do.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3938695/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm