Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

not your traditional CAI and tune question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:43 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default not your traditional CAI and tune question

i'm not asking the normal CAI and tune questions, i already have my C&L and brenspeed tunes. what i'm curious about is how much difference does the CAI actually make. i mean, has anyone gone from stock to tune to CAI and tune to give me the amount of difference? i've read a lot that it all relies on the tune, but if i take of my CAI and just run a tune, will i still feel the same get and go?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: not your traditional CAI and tune question

well, i went from stock to K&N drop-in filter to K&N intake to CAI plus bama tune. I really didnt feel a significant difference between the drop in and the actual intake...even though K&N dynos say it nets ~8 RWHP. I noticed a HUGE difference when I added doug's tune though.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Make sure you DO NOT run your tune that is made for your CAI with your stock airbox back on!

That is like running your stock settings with a C&L CAI (the car will tell you it hurts..)

But yes, for the record, I did notice a pretty huge difference (just put your stock settings back with the stock box and run it around for a day... you will not be pleased..lol)

Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

i could not afford a CAI and tune at the same time, so i went with the tune first. felt a bit of a difference in throttle response, car seemed quicker. drove with the tune only for about 2 months. finally got my steeda CAI, and i could feel it a bit. not as big of a jump as when i went from stock to tune only.

as an aside, since i had to load a new tune anyway, i reloaded the PCM to stock and drove around a bit before i installed the CAI. i then put the CAI and tune on; BIG difference. well worth the money IMO.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

i could not afford a CAI and tune at the same time, so i went with the tune first. felt a bit of a difference in throttle response, car seemed quicker. drove with the tune only for about 2 months. finally got my steeda CAI, and i could feel it a bit. not as big of a jump as when i went from stock to tune only.

as an aside, since i had to load a new tune anyway, i reloaded the PCM to stock and drove around a bit before i installed the CAI. i then put the CAI and tune on; BIG difference. well worth the money IMO.
thank you, your first actually nailed what i was looking for. i had a feeling a CAI wasn't doing much more than a tune would do. i have my C&L CAI and tune, but i put them on at once so i was never able to feel a difference seperately, only when both go on. i could easily see a difference when going from stock to CAI/tune though.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

yeah, i am of the strong opinion that the tune does most of the work. now, thats not to say the CAI isn't helping with the throttle response at all or giving it a small boost, but the tune is probably where most people feel the change. if anything, it was a bit of a let down when i got my CAI because i half expected it to jump my performance as much as the tune did.

like i said though, im still happy with both.