Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How often do you fellas clean your CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default How often do you fellas clean your CAI?

I've got about 6,000 miles on my CAI since it's last cleaning/prepping. What is a reasonable schedule for cleaning the CAI? Too early for me to clean again at 6k?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Default RE: How often do you fellas clean your CAI?

good question... i was thinkin the same thing cuz unfortunately i have no clue...so yea hopefully somebody does so we both know wats up
Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

This was on K&N's website, so it could be used as a guideline

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Is the C&L a cleanable/reusable type? I don't recall any info about cleaning in the instructions, I thought I was going to have to spend $40 on a new one. Hmm... any K&N sizes that fit?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You can use the K&N cleaning kit to clean the C&L filter.

Mine is starting to look pretty dirty.. but according to everything I have read.. it's not really a big deal.

ORIGINAL: themac5150

Is the C&L a cleanable/reusable type? I don't recall any info about cleaning in the instructions, I thought I was going to have to spend $40 on a new one. Hmm... any K&N sizes that fit?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

This was on K&N's website, so it could be used as a guideline

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.
Thanks for the info clip Oddysey, sounds like a pretty good way to gauge cleaning time.
I however am addicted to cleaned stuff on my Stang! I did my first CAI clean at 4k, and let me tell ya, there was a hell of alot of grime that flowed out! The reason I did that one at 4k, was because we in SoCal had about 4 weeks of horrible fires last year, and the air was constantly smoky and smoggy for almost 4 weeks straight, and I usually average about 120 miles per day on my car.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

i clean mine everytime i change my oil. 3-5k. better safe than sorry ya know
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I figure I would probably end up replacing my filter every 15k or around there. 40 bucks oncea year is worth it to me.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

i would think that you should be able to use the K&N recharger kit to clean your C&L filter....
Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hataap

i would think that you should be able to use the K&N recharger kit to clean your C&L filter....
That is what I use for charging. I think I bought it for $15.00 or somethin like that.

Quick Reply: How often do you fellas clean your CAI?