Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust

Make sure the hangers arnt hitting the hanger brackets. I know on mine the passenger side was hitting. I just cut up a microfiber towel and wrapped it around the hanger where it was hitting the hanger bracket and no more rattles.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
TJW
1st Gear Member

Mine has what seems to be a passenger side rattle, it isn't loose or hitting anything either. I wonder if it has something to do with removing those giant vibration dampers that were on the original exhaust system?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
LHFIRE

Check the rearmost metal hanger rod that is welded to the muffler on the drivers side. I had a problem with GT takeoffs and my new GTH's that this rod is too long and will move against the bumper bracket and cause a vibration. Just cut about a half-inch off of the end and all is well. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Tubra
2nd Gear Member

I'll send you a pic of how my hangar was setup and causing rattling. I think it might help.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LHFIRE

Check the rearmost metal hanger rod that is welded to the muffler on the drivers side. I had a problem with GT takeoffs and my new GTH's that this rod is too long and will move against the bumper bracket and cause a vibration. Just cut about a half-inch off of the end and all is well. Hope this helps.
Yep I had the same prob, I just adjusted the exhaust and it went away.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
slackerkk
1st Gear Member

i'll probably be looking at mine today as i pulled it into my driveway so hopefully i can figure out what's rattling
Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
JimC

Slackerkk -- my driver side exhaust was back just a little bit further than the passenger side and the rear most hanger was tapping on the metal support for the rear bumper. Check to see if there are any marks on the metal back there, and if so that is the cause of the rattle. On a quick look it appeared that I had plenty of clearance, but I could see the marks where it had been hitting periodically.

What type of clamp did you use to attach the mid pipe to your front cross over? Initially the clamp that was used caused the mid pipe to stick back just a little too far, once I replaced it with a proper band clamp the driver side moved up where it was supposed to be and no more rattle.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
slackerkk
1st Gear Member

ok it seems as if the muffler tip is hitting the metal bumper cover on the driver side, not the whole tip just the farthest back part. My brother says they have some high temp like foam that i can put there so it stops the rattling, but it's pretty annoying at this point and i can't seem to see if it's the hangers which make the muffler loose or what, but my passenger side muffler is very tight in the hanger while the driver site isn't as tight, maybe the hanger's hole isn't as tight as the passenger side?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slackerkk

ok it seems as if the muffler tip is hitting the metal bumper cover on the driver side, not the whole tip just the farthest back part. My brother says they have some high temp like foam that i can put there so it stops the rattling, but it's pretty annoying at this point and i can't seem to see if it's the hangers which make the muffler loose or what, but my passenger side muffler is very tight in the hanger while the driver site isn't as tight, maybe the hanger's hole isn't as tight as the passenger side?
Before you do anything go back under your car and look at this. Drivers side muffler.. the rear most hanger rod closest to the bumper. How close isthe tip of the hanger rodto the metal frame? If its closer than a half inch than that is prolly what's making the noise.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
slackerkk
1st Gear Member

when i took a quick peek it didnt' seem that close to it at all, but the muffler itself is def looser than the passenger side so when the car is just turned on, or just parked(before the car is turned off) the muffler will rattle and when i looked at it the tip was def hitting the metal bumper cover, i'll try to take a better look at the hanger tomorrow if the weather is good.

Quick Reply: Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust