Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 PM
slackerkk
1st Gear Member

Default Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust

So i finally installed my FRPP dual exhaust today and they sound great the only problem, is on the driver side there is some vibration/rattling with what seems the hangers but i can't seem to figure out the exact cause of it. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what did you do to get rid of the rattling/vibration?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust

I just got mine done, and I have a vibration on the passenger side.... goes away when the car warms up. Have to get it up on a lift. I have no idea what it is either, so you are not alone.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Did you use the supplied metal bumper cover inserts? If so, check the clearance of the muffler tips to those inserts. Mine was making noise vibrating against those. You can loosen the muffler clamps and adjust the tip away while holding it there and retightening the clamp or bend the aft hanger on the muffler to allow the tip to hang lower. I had my son sitbehind the carwhile I loosened the clamps and he told me when theyhad good clearance fromeach other. If that isn't the cause, chase the entire system and look for the culprit. I used the heel of my hand to bang oneverything making it move more than it would running. Also make sure your clamps are all tight and torqueddown really good.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Check to make sure the tip of the muffler is not touching the metal flanges on your bumper. I had that issue. I ended up having the body shop align my exhaust when they swapped out my bumper for a GT bumper.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

I just got mine done, and I have a vibration on the passenger side.... goes away when the car warms up. Have to get it up on a lift. I have no idea what it is either, so you are not alone.
Yep, I have dual magnaflows and i've had that rattle for a while, mostly at around 1500rpm, after it warms up it seems to go away. I thought it was something in the trunk or the ragtop glass window, but just this afternoon I figured out it was something on the exhaust hanger. Gotta get it on a lift. I am actually kind of relieved, it should be much easier to locate and fix than a rattle inside the cabin.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 PM
slackerkk
1st Gear Member

I did the install with my dad and he did most of the work, it seems to be in the area of the muffler and although there is a decent distance around the metal bumper covers maybe in the hangers they are too loose and are bumping when moving, i'll have to drive it around tomorrow too and really get a feel for what's vibrating or when i wash my car next week i'll look. Otherwise they sound great so far and sound exactly as i expected. Even my dad said it doesn't sound like most 6's and pretty close to an 8.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I have a GT bumper, so no metal covers on the bumper.... I'll have to see when I get it up on my buddies lift.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Me and a buddy that I work with, who did the installing, are trying to narrow down my rattles.

When I first drove home with it, its started to rattle after a few miles. We think it was because the metal heated up and expanded causing in the hit the bumper.. He fixed that problem, now we got another rattle that doesn't happen as often, but when it does, its rather loud.

I'll try to watch him while he works to see if I can find out any points of the culprits, but I'm not very car savvy. I'll do my best. Taking it back over to his shop(house) tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Make sure your hanger bolts are down. When i first installed my GT take offs, after a few miles I got a buzzing rattle, my hanger bolts were loose.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

No rattles here....knock on wood! I guess that's one good thing about having the mufflers hang a little lower than normal.

Quick Reply: Driver side rattling with FRPP dual exhaust