Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA or Pypes to convert to dual

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default JBA or Pypes to convert to dual

I know, another exhaust question. But please help me make my decision.

I have the single GT Takeoff and want to convert to dual now. I want to do it in myself with jackstands in my own garage. I dont want welds on the system so that I have no problems if I want to pull the tranny or clutch etc.

I am downto the
JBA Stainless Steel H Pipe and Midpipes - 05 + V6 or the Pypes Performance 2005 + V6 X-Pipe and Mid Pipes

I doubt if there is gonna be a big difference between the X or H. Correct me if I am wrong.

It appears that the Pypes kit comes with304 stainless steel oem style Axle Back hangers. I assume these are the hangers for the driver side muffler.

It does not sound like the JBA kit comes with the hangers.

I have read about some fitment issues with the JBA kit. Is there any issues with the Pypes ?

Pypes is also cheaper, but the JBA has free shipping - so maybe cost is about the same. This is at V6 Mustang Stuff.

I think the Ford Racing x pipes might be good, but I dont think it can be bought without the mufflers. Anybody know if the Ford Racing can be gotten without mufflers?

Is it realistic to do this in the garage with stands and a pipecutter ?

Which kit should I get, I want to get it done.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA or Pypes to convert to dual

JBA all the way. But X is better if your state will allow it.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

ive heard JBA is a little better quality then pypes...just my 2 cents though
Old 03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have Pypes X-pipe with the mid muffler and two GT takeoffs. I ordered the Pypes kit from V6MustangStuff and told them I am a member of the Mustang Forums. They didn't charge me shipping.
The guys who installed it said they fit like a glove. They did have to play around with the drivers side muffler to get it to hang right. I have no issues with rattles.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:38 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

07 Stang- did they have to make the pipe comming out of your catts bigger for the x pipe. Because I got the pypes x pipe and the shop said they had to fab them so they would fit with the x pipe becaues the catts pipes were 2 1/4 in and the x pipe was 2 1/2 or something like that. They ended up charging me like 80 more dollars.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

I just installed the pypes true duals kit withstreet pro mufflers last week. I did the install myself in my garage with jackstands. I used a sawzall to cut thefactory y-pipe. I had no fitment problems.The x-pipe fit perfectly.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
wildboi013
2nd Gear Member

Cool let us know what you pick im interested in these 2 as well
Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.0 Stang

07 Stang- did they have to make the pipe comming out of your catts bigger for the x pipe. Because I got the pypes x pipe and the shop said they had to fab them so they would fit with the x pipe becaues the catts pipes were 2 1/4 in and the x pipe was 2 1/2 or something like that. They ended up charging me like 80 more dollars.
They said it fit perfectly. Only problem waswith the muffler hanger on drivers side. They ended up making me a hanger so it would hang right without the worry of rattling.

I will say, the clamps that come with Pypes (to connect your mid-pipe) isn't that great as far as quality. To make sure they won't slip out, you should either buya Ford OEM clamp or tack weld it. You onlyneed one because you have one Fordclamp from the previous exhaust set up.

I gave those guys $200 to install mine. It was a little pricey but they did cut the bumper for me and I have yet (knock on wood) to have problems with rattles.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

JBA all the way indeed - i liked the whole setup and the deeper sound
Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

the jba system is used by some more 'hard core' guys seeing as it is a bit better quality. the x pipe in general gives a bit better performance if youre going the f/i route. the jba system does come with hangers but theyre not great and i had the shop use some of theirs in the install, other than that i had no fittment issues or anything of the like and i love my jbas... great sound... good luck!

Quick Reply: JBA or Pypes to convert to dual