Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Extra Supercharger Equipment? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Extra Supercharger Equipment? WTF?

an 8.8 would be wise. you can get the takeoff rear for $875 from hillbank i think with gears already in it....as for the driveshaft, there were a few guys here who broke theirs....you will only gain power from the driveshaft as well as reliability. If you plan on doing more modding than just the blower....then get the 8.8 if not, just get gears, t-lok, driveshaft
Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
blackstang14
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand there are a few mods that will provide maximum enjoyment of F/I on our cars but are not absolutelynecessary unless you plan to head straight to the track or if you want to go 300 mph!!! I would say that t-lock or 8.8 takeoff, aluminum drive shaft, lower control arms (possibly uppers as well), and wider tires (especially if you have the stock 16's ) would be a great start.

p.s. There still is room for one more in the x-charger group buy if you change your mind. Good luck though with your choice whatever that is.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

I don't know guys....$7500 is a bit much. I mean, I got my 2005 Mustang for $13,500, they raped on interest though, which I got refinancied pretty quickly. But to spend more than half of the cost of my car just on mods....eh. Yeah.

$6000 I was willing to do, but now he wants $7500 and he told me, "The bill keeps piling on as you get more and more mods." I just don't understand why no other place in which I inquired a supercharger, told me that I needed a new driveshaft or 8.8 rear or anything of that sort. Does that mean the place I'm inquiring this supercharger, knows what they are doing or are complete morons?

So, apart from the $6000 supercharger/install/tune, apart from the $270 t-lok, apart from the $580 drivetrain, I have to get a $800 8.8 rear?

Which comes out to $8,300?

I didn't think getting a supercharger was going to be so expensive....I figured it was just the kit and thats it.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackstang14

From what I understand there are a few mods that will provide maximum enjoyment of F/I on our cars but are not absolutelynecessary unless you plan to head straight to the track or if you want to go 300 mph!!! I would say that t-lock or 8.8 takeoff, aluminum drive shaft, lower control arms (possibly uppers as well), and wider tires (especially if you have the stock 16's ) would be a great start.

p.s. There still is room for one more in the x-charger group buy if you change your mind. Good luck though with your choice whatever that is.
Yeah, I'm seriously considering just getting a weaker supercharger. But I know if I do, I just won't be happy with it. My goal was to be as fast or faster than a Mustang GT. But I don't think I'd go with X-Charger. The regular Vortech supercharger dishes out the same HP output but $700 cheaper according to statistics and details.

........what is the japanese word for "damnit"?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
JimC

How much is he charging your for the driveshaft? Check out Shaftmasters, good quality and I don't think I've seen better priceshttp://www.shaftmasters.com/store/in...fddf06e51667be

With the new driveshaft, think about if you ever plan to lower the car (or if you are already lowered) and thediameter of the new shaft. I have the 4" shaft and it is great, but if I was lowered then I'd be swapping and getting the 3.5" because the bigger diameter can rub on a lowered car.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Sweet, thats about $100 cheaper.

And no, I don't plan on lowering my car. He was charging me $579.

Thanks though
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
moonstang
2nd Gear Member

You don't *have* to get any of those things with your supercharger. The drive shaft that exploded at 120 mph was the original 05. About half way through the year, they started putting retention clips in the u-joints. I don't think anybody has had theirs come apart with the new version, but I may be wrong. That being said, the drive shaft replacement is not a bad idea. It isn't just about durability. As has been pointed out, the aftermarket drive shafts are much lighter and provide a little better performance. You don't have to get the t-lock either, although it will make it very hard to harness all your power at launch.

Additionally, you can get the supercharger now and do the other mods later. It isn't like it has to all be a package deal.

Although, if you are worried about money then just get in on the x-charger group buy and install it yourself! Of course I say that because we need one more buyer. But I do believe that you will find an x-charged car has more power than a GT.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Wait, in the website it said it installs in one hour with only hand tools?

Why the **** did the guy raise the price from $6000 to $7500 for that? I know the t-lok usually is $500 to install and about $275. But they are installing the supercharger already so it should just be one of those things they can do "while doing the supercharger". Shouldn't be that much extra work. But wtf? For that, I'll let them install the SC and t-lok, then install the driveshaft myself.

Anyone ever install a driveshaft themselves....? [>:]
Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moonstang

You don't *have* to get any of those things with your supercharger. The drive shaft that exploded at 120 mph was the original 05. About half way through the year, they started putting retention clips in the u-joints. I don't think anybody has had theirs come apart with the new version, but I may be wrong. That being said, the drive shaft replacement is not a bad idea. It isn't just about durability. As has been pointed out, the aftermarket drive shafts are much lighter and provide a little better performance. You don't have to get the t-lock either, although it will make it very hard to harness all your power at launch.

Additionally, you can get the supercharger now and do the other mods later. It isn't like it has to all be a package deal.

Although, if you are worried about money then just get in on the x-charger group buy and install it yourself! Of course I say that because we need one more buyer. But I do believe that you will find an x-charged car has more power than a GT.
GT comes with 300 stock HP. Really only making 285 HP after drivetrain loss. The X-Charger only claims 280HP with its H/O system. But it costs $4000-$4200. The S-trim Vortech regular system claims that much but cheaper. Thats why I don't want an X-Charger.

However, to get back to the topic at hand, I could wait to get that stuff later, but I figured it would have been more expensive.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

i say take your planned mod money, and the v6 & trade it in, and get you a GT.. lol.. cause even when you mod this v6 up, us with GTs are mod'n ours up.. you'll never catch us..

Quick Reply: Extra Supercharger Equipment? WTF?