Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N Drop in Filter with Cone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM
TRMustang07
1st Gear Member

Default K&N Drop in Filter with Cone?

[align=left]If i were to add a K&N Drop in Filter with a K&N Cone filter is a tune necessary for it to function properly... can i get this without the tune or will it damage the engine somehow? i do not have enough money for an intake system yet so i just want something minor
Im confused what the drop in filter is though is it the filter looking metal thing that is placed right behind the grill?

[/align]
Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 AM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: K&N Drop in Filter with Cone?

the k&n drop in filter is literally just a replacement air filter for your car so the only way you could do a cone filter with the intake setup the way it is is to get a full intake system and the drop in air filter won't need a tune really
Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

^what he said. K&N makes a "drop in" filter...it looks just like the stock air filter and just replaces it in the stock airbox. Flows a little better than the stock filter, but not enough to require a retune, it's a direct replacement. The only way to use a cone filter is to get a complete intake. Most intakes require a computer retune, but I believe AEM's does not. MMR makes one that I don't think needs a tune either.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TRMustang07

[align=left]If i were to add a K&N Drop in Filter with a K&N Cone filter is a tune necessary for it to function properly... can i get this without the tune or will it damage the engine somehow? i do not have enough money for an intake system yet so i just want something minor
Im confused what the drop in filter is though is it the filter looking metal thing that is placed right behind the grill?

[/align]
Dude I think that is the radiator that you're referring to!! (May not be what you're referring to, but by the description I'm making an assumption)
Open your hood, and look to the lower right side of the engine bay...You see that big black box, with a large diameter tube going into the top of the engine? That is the stock airbox/air intake. The K&N replaces that airbox, with a conical shaped filter, allowing air to flow much more freely into the engine.

The portion outlined in red is what the stock will be replaced with. (Although I did keep the stock tube, but larger MAF housing installed)

This is a radiator, I'm not sure if this is what you were first referring to, but that has nothing to do with the K&N filter:

Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

If you are planning on getting a C&L and tunes, DO NOT WASTE MONEY on the K&N. K&N makes the aircharger system that doesn't require a tune, but it's almost $300! If you're hell bent, get the drop in replacement filter. You can't see it when it's installed, but it is supposed to flow air better. I always put K&N filters in my motorcycles, they worked pretty good, sometimes so good, a rejet was necessary. In the car, as long as the MAF housing stays the same size, the PCM can accuratelycontrol the fuel/air ratio. The C&L MAF housing is huge compared to stock.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
bigdaddy0987
1st Gear Member

i wouldnt get the K&N at all they are entirely too expesive if you want a CAI get on ebay you can get a cold air intake system for like $100 or less the K&N drop in filter is almost that i know i bought one a while back for my wifes car and it was like $70 so for not much more you could get the whole system

[/align]
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
slingshot76

Okay, so I'm late; I've already put in a K&N CAI. Question is what should I do now. Tune or just live with it? Got it on ebay so I didn't pay the full price. Suggestions?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slingshot76

Okay, so I'm late; I've already put in a K&N CAI. Question is what should I do now. Tune or just live with it? Got it on ebay so I didn't pay the full price. Suggestions?
Heck yes still get a tune! But call or in the order make sure that you note that you have a K&N filter that works with the stock MAF size, so they can adjust the air/fuel ratio accordingly. A tune will still benefit you greatly, as it will adjust the spark timing with higher octanes, firm up the shift points, etc....Go with Bama, they have awesome tunes! I have VMP and Bama tunes loaded in, and the Bama torque tune is pulls surprisingly well.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
slingshot76

Great, thanks! Will do.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

The K&N CAI (with a cone filter) that I bought was the first major mod I did and I was very happy with the investment. I feel it is a great first engine mod to do. The major difference it madewas not a power increase, but a much smoother performance from the engine. The V-6 with the stock intake gives the engine a bit of courseness.Youkind of purr along then have to nail it to really get the car moving. Adding the CAI smoothed out the acceleration of the car without a tune. I am not sure if simply a drop in filter will accomplish that. When I added duals and the tune later that really "woke" the car up and increased the pep and put both the CAI and the dual exhaust to work a bit better.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Filter with Cone?