Tinted windows help - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tinted windows help

Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tinted windows help

is there a place u can buy moleskin from in person or do u have to buy it online? do local tint shops carry it? or will they charge me a billion dollars to give me 3 feet of felt?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

I will answer the last two questions. I am pretty sure the 08 models fixed the scratching tint problem but if it scratches just get them to retint it and put moleskin on the second time but I am pretty sure you will be fine. I would just buy the moleskin online you can get it here http://www.empirepao.com/for $5. Some local tint shops will carry it while others will have no idea what you are talking about. But don't let them tell you that they have had no problems with scratching. Just buy it for $5 and install very easy.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

So the Moleskin acts as a protector as the window goes down?
This is the first ive heard of it and its a good job because im getting my windows tinted next month. It seems pretty easy to do, will it cost me an arm and a leg tho?

The legal tint in So Cal is anything on the back but on the driver/passenger/winsheild its 75%..im going 20% on back and 50%on side windows.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Will what cost you and arm and a leg? The moleskin or the tint? Moleskin is $5 and you can do the install yourself. Tinting can range from 100-200. One suggestion though is you will probably want to go with at least 35% in the front. I know it may be illegal there but there are plenty of guys on here from cali with darker tint than that. 50% is basically nothing. I am going with 35% front 20% back and even I am getting **** about 35% being too light so just think about it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

im getting it done saturday in baltimore at a place called mikes tint and he does pretty good work. hes chargin me 120 for the tint on my front and rear (i have cdc side scoops). how long does it take for the moleskin to be delivered? i want to have it on by friday. and i was gonna get 35% but should i go lower? i just dont want to have to peel that crap off cus i get a ticketa week after i buy it.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
tac0
1st Gear Member

I got 15% all around and thought it was going to be darker than what it is. You definitely need to get 20% or lower or it's not worth it. 30% is the legal limit in Florida on the front side windows, but I go by cops all the time and they've never said or done anything.

I haven't installed moleskin, yet, but I don't put my windows down often. They've gone down maybe 3 times and my tint isn't scratched. Hopefully I install moleskin before I do get scratches.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Superman6TNine

im getting it done saturday in baltimore at a place called mikes tint and he does pretty good work. hes chargin me 120 for the tint on my front and rear (i have cdc side scoops). how long does it take for the moleskin to be delivered? i want to have it on by friday. and i was gonna get 35% but should i go lower? i just dont want to have to peel that crap off cus i get a ticketa week after i buy it.
If you ordered from the place I listed it only took 4-5 daysmax. I'm going 35% but thats because even with my doctor's note that is the lowest and I can go and I heard cops are dicks about that stuff around me. A car without a doctor's note can only have 50% on the front side windows and the tint place told me a story about a guy that got a ticket because the tint reader registered a 49%. So I think it depends on the area you live in too. 35% will be plenty dark for me one thing would suggest to make it all look darker is to go with maybe 20% in the rear only because cops can't check the rear tint.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 PM
dljpdx
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

+1, moleskin is a must!

The tint place will probably mention it and how it's necessary before they tint your windows. BUT... if they don't, they have no idea what they're talking about, and you should take your baby somewhere else to get the tint done.
+1 on choosing a tint place that already knows about the issue.
My place mentioned it without me bringing it up, and they installed new felt strips as opposed to moleskin (and now the windows go up and down a lot more quietly, with the tint and new felt strips).
The tint job was $195 and the new strips installed were another $60 = $255-.

I had mine done with 35% on the door windows, and 20% remainder. I'm installing 1/4 window louvers so any different between the side windows won't matter. Plus I'm still smarting from the $465 speeding ticket I got last summer and don't need to know how much an illegal tint ticket (plus a re-tint job) would set me back.
The tint shop would not give me the standard certificate of legal compliance, and I had to pay in cash, but they did give me a receipt and it's a very reputable and established shop so I have no worries about warranty etc.
There are tints that look noticably different when doing some windows 35% and others 20%; on the contrary there are others that don't really look very different at all - something to do with the metallic content or whatnot.
If you're not going for a blacked-out look, and the tint has a decent reflective rating, you should be OK if you're trying to stay legal on the door windows, and go darker in the rear. If your interior is dark, the tint will look darker as well. I've had super-dark tint in the past and had close-calls when backing up in the dark etc - couldn't see a pole or something because the windows were too dark at night. Got into the habit of surveying my surroundings before I got into the car...