Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

looks or performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
ScreamingYellow2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: looks or performance?

i'm doing mostly looks o i got my overlays for the back lights and reflectors on just waiting on the front lights and blinkers overlays and i'll post pics then i might get dual exhaust next pay check which for me is tomorrow hehehehe
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

A CAI and tune is almost REQUIRED for an "automatic".....(or so I'm told...I have a Stick)....if you have a manual....a CAI and tune will improve throttle lag and acceleration depending on your intake system, tune, and types of tunes you choose to get. If you drop in a K&N Air filter.....your gains will be less noticeable than with certain "cone" filters that isolate engine heat from your air intake. (K&N) is still better than stock without a tune though) I recommmend B.A.M.A chip tunes (from Doug) with the SCT X-cal3 tuner because I have used them. (87, 91, and 93 octane performance tunes)

Others will recommend VMP, Brenspeed and others....because they have had good results as well.....

SHOW or GO?....it's up you. Do what mods you can as you can afford them until you have the Pony you are happy with.

My first suggested mod.....Shorty antennae......get a 14 inch one....or smaller if you like, remove any door stripes on your car, remove any door molding/trim. .....keep your pony clean and post pics as you go.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
BobbyRay

I'm still waiting to 'break' in my engine (2,000 miles)...at least thats what I tell myself. I figure I might as well get good use out of the stock parts while I make her purdy. But eventually, the stock parts WILL come off. After just a scoop and louvers I'm diffenantly going to get a limited slip and some 4.10s. Then maybe I'll get some wheels for her.
MAKE IT YOURS
Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

I am doing mostly show first, expecially since I don't race, it's my DD. About the only GO options will be a CAI and Tune and Dual Exhaust, but tint/louvers/rims/tires/grill will be before the CAI.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

I did show, and now the next thing on the list is duals (a little bit show, a little bit go) and finally a tune/cai combo. After that, I'm at wits end and I'll have it right where I want it.

Forgot to mention that I went with the show mods because I wanted to stand out a bit from every other Mustang people see. Louvers, fuel door, interior welts and accessories, painted side mirror covers, and a shorty antenna cost me a total of $465 and they made a world of a difference. I'll be dropping $600 on the duals to put things in perspective, and at least another $450 on the cai/tune.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Personally, I think it's embarassing owning such a sweet-looking car and then get smoked in a race. I say GO!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

I am biased 80% performance 20% looks.

My car shows for this lmao. I kept it mostly looking stock external withalot more money put into the performance. I have a bucket for my saving up for my F/I, it's not even funny. It actually is a bucket and sits next to my computer with a sign that says "feed me money"... I was going to trade in my v6 for a GT a while back (used mind you) but ran into a hiccup and decided to keep the v6. It was a good decision. I've got a load extra to spend for it now and it's all going towards (well I already got my dual FRPP) and coming soon, gears + tlok (as many others have gotten) and a nice beefy turbo. I might go with the X-charger though since it's a bit easier to install and less of a hassle. Hopefully will have saved enough by early next year.

Get a tune and intake if you haven't already. It's a great started performance mod.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Get a tune from Vmptuning.com or one of the other major tuners. Even with a manual he will find extra HP and better response. Plus more highway mpg is always nice. My 05 automatic gets 27-29 mpg at 70-75 mph on the highway with Vmps 93 mileage tune.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:23 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

It depends on your car. If you have a bone stock, bottom-of-the-line V6, then appearance might be what you'll want to start with. If you have a Pony Package, you might want to go with performance first. I have a Pony Package and I still went with appearance, though. I have no intentions of racing my car or making it extremely fast... I'm pretty pleased with the power it already has, so I've been pretty minor about performance enhancements. It just depends on what you want and what you like. Make a list and prioritize what it is that will make you happiest about getting for your car. For some people that might be a CAI/tune combo. For others it might be window louvers. It's all up to you.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Re-visiting here once more for just my opinion...

Best performance mod: Tune and CAI (got mine from EVO)
Best looks mod: Dual Exhaust/Single Muffler

I know the exhaust/muffler is also a performance mod, but hell, it is probably the best visual and audio mod i've done for my baby. It turns heads BIGTIME. When I first put on my MRT, my neighbors jumped outside looking around like wtf is going on out here?! They then complimented me on annoying the hell out of them while they were at rest lmao (oops). Everyone seems to love the sound of a modified exhaust on a mustang (v6 or v8 doesn't matter). I'd say if you are undecided... DO THE EXHAUST/MUFFLER.

Quick Reply: looks or performance?