Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pony package...yea or nay ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pony package...yea or nay ???

welll... if your really thinking about getting a pp, see below, check my site, i do offer some info & then some, and i love mine.....

i thinkthe stuff you will findpretty well sums my opinion on the matter of my car and mustangs in general....

its all a matter of opinion, i liked what it had to offer for what i had to spend, including mods, which i dont have much of, but plans to do.... for me i knew i wasnt gonna have a whole lot of dough after getting it in general, so i went with the pp, did my one performance mod, ( until my extended warranty runs out and then go for more, performance stuff), ill be the first to say my car is more sho than go, but i gotta drive it every day, so its perfromancewhere it is now isenough for me....for now.......

good luck in your decision and remember when you start modding etc, as long as what you have makes you happy that is what counts.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Nobody has said it but when I brought my Mustang theone option that I wanted first on the carwas ABS/Traction Control,everything else is gravy.Nobody out brakes a computer!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:35 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

If you're going to change out the grill and the rims it's probably better to just get a base V6. If you're going to want the Pony Package grill and rims then just get the Pony Package. When I got mine in '05 (it's an '06 model), it also came standard with an anti-sway bar, GT-inspired suspension, Shaker 500, ABS, and traction control. I know for the '07 models they removed some of those features, and I'm not sure about the '08s, but if you can get one fully loaded like that you'll be good to go. I think the Pony Package was more than worth it. I love every aspect of it. It was uncommon to see another one on the road whenI got mine, and now I see plenty, but the package itself still gives the car a much more retro and eye-catching appearance than the base V6.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:15 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm mine came with everything the previous models did as well and it even had a few extra goodies. I'll see if I can find the actual dealer list of included items in the PP. I know 100% sure it had the GT susp. package, interior package, rims, perelli tires (SWEET), bullit style silver rims, grill, mats, and a crapload more.

Maybe that was for the ones manufactured in '07 (2008 models)not the '07 model itself?

*oh yeah and it came with the new style wing also (no gap between the trunk and the wing).
Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

06 has abs tcs upgraded interior 60's style fogs, gt inspired suspension, sway bars control arms and its my understanding that the struts are in between the standard v6 and gt sizes...although i could be wrong..... my color instrument lights, cruise control, shaker 500, gt spoiler (flush mount spoiler on 07 and up models), leather interior, aluminum dash kit, there may be more that im missing but i think thats the general gist of the pp

as i said i could not be happier for a dd
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

What phunnyguy said.....

I love the look of mine. Like everyone has said, its all a personal preference thing. I can see where it would be a waste if you plan on changing out everything that the pp comes with. Either way, you cant go wrong with a mustang........

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Mine was a base, I bought the PP grill, emblems, wheels/tires, FRPP swaybars, after the fact. I wanted the PP, but they didn't have a manual. They were willing to get what ever I wanted, but I didn't want anything extra than the PP grill and wheels. I wasn't a member of the forum when I bought it, and didn't know the PP had the rear sway, the salesman didn't elaborate on the differences other than the visuals. When I bought mine, 07s only listed the PP as a $750 option, and ABS/TCS wasn't on it. I was surprised when I found out after the fact it DIDN'T have ABS. I thought every car had that now. But, I've owned cars without it, I can live without it now. Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is you can buy a base or premium and add the PP parts later. I love the PP grill, it really does something to the looks of the front, looks better than a GT, and it's FUNCTIONAL. It wasn't cheap, but it came with the factory light switch for fogs, all the wiring/harness, and was very easy to install.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phunnyguy

06 has abs tcs upgraded interior 60's style fogs, gt inspired suspension, sway bars control arms and its my understanding that the struts are in between the standard v6 and gt sizes...although i could be wrong..... my color instrument lights, cruise control, shaker 500, gt spoiler (flush mount spoiler on 07 and up models), leather interior, aluminum dash kit, there may be more that im missing but i think thats the general gist of the pp

as i said i could not be happier for a dd
Those interior items you listed were an interior upgrade package......had nothing to do with the Pony Package.

To the OP, like so many have said, it really depends on what you want and how much $$ you are willing to spend. I do think the Pony Package is a great value considering all that you get. Try to price each item plus the cost of labor and see if you come out $750 cheaper.....not to mention it's genuine Ford parts.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I guess I am one of the few who does not like the PP grill. I prefer the GT grill. I think I am in a good position since I bought a base V6, because I am upgrading everything with FRPP stuff, so I come out ahead in the long run
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: slingshot76

What the posts above don't mention is the rear anti-sway bar - the pony package has it. Otherwise you don't get one. I wish I had gotten the PP in retrospect. I think it comes down to 1) grill, 2) 17" wheels and 3) the rear sway bar.
+1
thats the major difference between the V6 and the PP
the frickin missing rear sway bar on the V6
I also dont like the PP grill but hey its your stang
ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

I guess I am one of the few who does not like the PP grill. I prefer the GT grill. I think I am in a good position since I bought a base V6, because I am upgrading everything with FRPP stuff, so I come out ahead in the long run
+1 $17,087 base V6 here with $3000 in mods to bring her up to snuff

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/4DCDFC58618A48B0B2196563C5AC2B5E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/EB15B0FD976E4D6FAB0A1B5233A68536.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Pony package...yea or nay ???