Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

Default Is this possible?

im tweaking my exhaust a lil. anyone whos jacked the car up and rolled underneath knows that the exhaust goes from the headers to a y pipe then to the cat. from there a striaght pipe till the axel then the muffler. what i want to kno is if i were to cut the pipe right after the first o2 senser, get a MIL eliminator for the second (meaning getting rid of the cat), and run a 2 1/3- 3 inch pipe striaght down the middle of the car into a muffler in the middle of the car and run duel pipes over the axel? id need to find a single inlet duel outlet with the two outlets on the same side. but before i start butchering my car, i wanna kno if thats even possible.

thanks guys
Old 04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is this possible?

You can...the fact that the car will sound like *** is a different story.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

the only reason im asking is because i did it to my 3.8 camaro a few years ago and it sounded sick as hell. i loved it and i miss that deep tone i had with that. i just hate the sound of mustangs with ****ty exhaust and if u say that itll sound aweful than i guess i might as well go for sumn else. thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

The reason it will sound awesome is because the CATS are removed. It will sound pretty good and idle but when you start moving, it will sound like a 4 cylinder with a huge fart can on it.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Superman6TNine

im tweaking my exhaust a lil. anyone whos jacked the car up and rolled underneath knows that the exhaust goes from the headers to a y pipe then to the cat. from there a striaght pipe till the axel then the muffler. what i want to kno is if i were to cut the pipe right after the first o2 senser, get a MIL eliminator for the second (meaning getting rid of the cat), and run a 2 1/3- 3 inch pipe striaght down the middle of the car into a muffler in the middle of the car and run duel pipes over the axel? id need to find a single inlet duel outlet with the two outlets on the same side. but before i start butchering my car, i wanna kno if thats even possible.

thanks guys
In stock form actually, on each side off the headers/manifolds is a catalytic converter (2 total on the car), with the pipes from the cats joined at a y-pipe. Then the mid-pipe goes overthe axle to the muffler.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

If you wanta mid muffler set up, Pypes makes one for our cars. The system includes two midpipes, two straight-through design mufflers right before the axle, pipes over the axle, and two finished tips.

Right now, I have straight pipes (with cats), no crosspipe, and two axleback mufflers. I'm pleased with the performance, but I don't like the sound.

I'm thinking of simulating the Pypes system by eliminating my axleback mufflers, and replacing them with chrome tips. In front of the axle, I would add 2 glasspacks. I feel that part of the problem with sound is that I don't have a cross pipe, so I'd add an h-pipe.

Here's a picture of that Pypes System:

[IMG]local://upfiles/40574/6AAAEE60B2A540B29BF8CE79EC1D8ADB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

its just so hard to find a good sounding exhaust. im just trying to find something i can be happy with. and i like the way my current exhaust sounds except at high rpms. its justsounds too much like a "fart pipe".plus when the system is cold i get back pressure and its so embarrassing to hear that pop when im goin down the road. i have to shift at low rpms to avoid it.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

ORIGINAL: Superman6TNine

im tweaking my exhaust a lil. anyone whos jacked the car up and rolled underneath knows that the exhaust goes from the headers to a y pipe then to the cat. from there a striaght pipe till the axel then the muffler.what i want to kno is if i were to cut the pipe right after the first o2 senser, get a MIL eliminator for the second (meaning getting rid of the cat), and run a 2 1/3- 3 inch pipe striaght down the middle of the car into a muffler in the middle of the car and run duel pipes over the axel? id need to find a single inlet duel outlet with the two outlets on the same side. but before i start butchering my car, i wanna kno if thats even possible.

thanks guys
In stock form actually, on each side off the headers/manifolds is a catalytic converter (2 total on the car), with the pipes from the cats joined at a y-pipe. Then the mid-pipe goes overthe axle to the muffler.
Have ya crawled under there lately? Things have changed from the old days.
Dont we have two exhaust manifolds, two cats, two O2 sensors, then
into the reverse Y pipe and out to the axle back muffler? It would do you good
to get a dual GT exhaust from the cats back including the H pipe and install
that underneith getting rid of the reverse Y pipe alltogether.
Cheap and semi OEM. Now that would sound killer.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I believe that Pypes mid muffler system for the V6 also comes with a crossover that they never show in their pics. It's a full catback setup. I'm interested in it, but it looks like it comes in a lot of parts, I'm worried about so many clamps coming loose...maybe needs to be welded??
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

i hate when people are ignorant about questions. the reason for this whole forum is for people who dont kno the answers to questions to get the answers they need. i never said i was an expert on the layout of the car. plain and simple....i dont kno! thats why i asked the damn question. a simple yes or no wouldve been fine

for those of u who took the question seriously thank u and ill consider it but those of u who want to make people sound like an idiot...just dont answer the question