Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:46 PM
pallidamors
Banned

Default Best Tranny Fluid

Well the mustang just hit 40k miles and its time for a transmission fluid change (its late actually) What do you guys run. I'm thinking something synthetic like royal purple or amsoil. Any input would be great!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best Tranny Fluid

Do you have a manual or automatic ?

I like Redline D4ATF for the manual transmission. It did wonders for the M5OD manual 5-speedin my 1999 Ranger. Made it shift smoother and solved the problem of burning the fluid. The regular Mercon V wouldturn black in about 5000 miles.

Ichange the Redline D4ATF in the Tremec 5-speed about every 10K miles, even though I am sure it can last much longer.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
pallidamors
Banned

its an auto
Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Just changed mine this weekend. I was at 80K all highway miles and the original factory fluidwas pretty black. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF since it was readily available where I live and meets all requirements for my 5 speed manual.

Sure wish this thing had a dipstick for the tranny.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
pallidamors
Banned

is it something you can do at home or should it be taken somewhere?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I didn't think it was too hard at home, but you do need to buy a hand fluid pump, like a big syringe, to fill it back up. Cost $9 at Autozone. It's a little messy, but no big deal. Also you need some thread sealant for both the fill and drain plugs, I used standard white teflon paste, no problem, not a drip after tightening back up. The plugs came out easily with just a 3/8" socket square drive end. Course you need ramps or a jack/stands to get under there. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

I didn't think it was too hard at home, but you do need to buy a hand fluid pump, like a big syringe, to fill it back up. Cost $9 at Autozone. It's a little messy, but no big deal. Also you need some thread sealant for both the fill and drain plugs, I used standard white teflon paste, no problem, not a drip after tightening back up. The plugs came out easily with just a 3/8" socket square drive end. Course you need ramps or a jack/stands to get under there. Good luck!
I think he has an auto, might not be as easy as our manuals. Also I think I heard something about the Autos not having a dipstick or something like that ???
Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

You are right about him having an auto, I got to reading too fast. He'd could look at the on-line serice manual someone posted and check out what is says...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

i would take it to a tranny shop or even the dealer to get it done, there is a filter that needs to be changed as well, plus you will never completely get it out of the torque convertor,

in my vehicles ive ran all kinds of different brands for everything wondering whats the best... none of it really made a differeance, just stick with motorcraft stuff, its fully synthetic anyways
Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
pallidamors
Banned

Bump for an old thread!

So I want to order the fluid tonight, but my fiance has the car and the owners manual is in the glove box. How many quarts does the auto tranny hold and what weight royal purple should I get?

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Best Tranny Fluid