Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

should i get my car dyno tuned? or something else(nitrous?) HELP please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

Default should i get my car dyno tuned? or something else(nitrous?) HELP please!

i get my gears installed in a few weeks, im wondering what my next step should be. i dont want to spend the money to go f/i right now so i guess im looking for the best 'bang for my buck' at this point. when my gears are installed i will have the following mods:

steeda cai
PH driveshaft
steeda lcas
steeda panhard bar
borla axleback
4.10 gears & t-lok
diablosport 93 tune

i want a performance mod this time around, so no duals right now. i think my borla is 'free flowing' enough and i wouldnt see any gains going duals.

no springs either, dont really want to lower the car any and scrape up my chin. i dont want underdrive pulleys because i really dont think ill see much gain from them and i dont want to deal with the cons assocaited with them.

i dont think new heads would help me either as far as 'bang for buck', and pnp is a little pricey and it doesnt seem like enough people have done it around here to make me feel comfortable.

would a dyno tune be worth it? or is there something else out there that im missing from my setup? thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
tremere613
1st Gear Member

Default RE: should i get my car dyno tuned? or something else? HELP please!

gather up as much loose change as possible...and then
2 words
SUPER CHARGER!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

cams. prolly gonna be the best bang for the buck. with dyno tune ofcourse. 600 bucks for around 50 horse. pretty good deal if you ask me. thats just an estimate though from other gains that have been seen with heads/cams... notice i said around...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

lol, i dont have that much change. thought about it the past couple days, may be going with nitrous; dry system, maybe a 25 or 50 shot.

what kits are you guys using if anyone is running this setup?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

cams. prolly gonna be the best bang for the buck. with dyno tune ofcourse. 600 bucks for around 50 horse. pretty good deal if you ask me. thats just an estimate though from other gains that have been seen with heads/cams... notice i said around...
wont cams give me an unpleasnt idle/ ride in general? i havent seen too many people with our 4.0s going this route. i was also under the impression that reground cams will spike my hp numbers up at one peak point (damn high mind you) as opposed to a smooth powerband. wont i lose low end power?

this was my main factor in toying with the idea of pnp heads, cams, and a tb. loss of low end power with a HUGE hp spike at the top end. am i correct in this or have i misinterpreted?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

our cars are designed with alotta low end torque, so it should still be good for DD, and idk if it will give you an unpleasent ride, just an idle like a musclecar's smallblock. i personally like it. its like the350 in my dad's vette. love that sound....
Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
firestang70
2nd Gear Member

Cams are not a bang for the buck for the 4.0. Labor will far exceed the price of the parts. I do love the lopey cammed sound. As far as nitrous there are several options out there. I personally have Wilsons Pro Flo kit (pricey but worth it) NOS,ZEX. Good luck with the future mods.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

would i go through super six motorsports? is the 600 to regrind my cams or do they give me new? can i just do cams and nothing else (except the tune)? how much for install or can i install myself (according to steeda i am a 'savy do it yourselfer)? i dont know why im so anxious to be poor, but i need new mods. [8D]

thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firestang70

Cams are not a bang for the buck for the 4.0. Labor will far exceed the price of the parts. I do love the lopey cammed sound. As far as nitrous there are several options out there. I personally have Wilsons Pro Flo kit (pricey but worth it) NOS,ZEX. Good luck with the future mods.
yeah im kinda leaning towards the bottle only beacuse of the $$$. never heard of wilsons but i will look into it. how high of a shot are you running?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:56 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

ORIGINAL: firestang70

yeah im kinda leaning towards the bottle only beacuse of the $$$. never heard of wilsons but i will look into it. how high of a shot are you running?
Nitrous isn't cheap, if you want to make it safer. My set up cost over $1800 with a dyno tune. With a 50-shot, I achieve the 1/4 time in my sig. I am now set up with a 100-shot, and haven't track-tested it yet.

The basic system is not expensive, but the "safety" add-ons increase the price. For example, Zex has a TPS control switch that sprays the nitrous without pressing buttons- basically it controls what gears and what rpm the nitrous sprays. It's not necessary, but it keeps the system safer.

Quick Reply: should i get my car dyno tuned? or something else(nitrous?) HELP please!