Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

T-Loc & Gears vs GT takeoff rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Default T-Loc & Gears vs GT takeoff rearend?

I've read that it takes a lot of know how to install gears and T-Loc correctly so would it be cheaper to buy a GT takeoff rearend than to buy t-loc and gears and have them installed? In other words would the parts and labor cost to install gears and t-loc in stock rearend be more than buying and installing the GT rearend with the t-loc and gears? Or would the costs be close enough that it would make more sense to buy and pay to haveGT rearend installed? That sounds complicated but I hope you get the gist of my questions.

And where would be a good place to buy the gears and t-loc for the stock rearend?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: T-Loc & Gears vs GT takeoff rearend?

This is an interesting question to me and one I have thought of. I think it depends on the quotes you get for labor. Lets take prices off of v6mustangstuff.com. For 3.73 and LSD would cost $450 plus shipping. For an 8.8 rear with the 3.73 gears and LSD on them it would cost 850 plus shipping. I think the rear end can be installed by anybody though somebody recently just did one. I think to get gears and LSD and to install them would probably be around $700 maybe $800 tops. But if you get the rear end then you don't have to worry about a crappy install and gear whine so I don't know just thought throw some numbers out there.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

This is sort of a question out of left field but...

If you may end up going X-Charger or the like, wouldn't having an 8.8 rear solve some problems in the future? I'm not quite sure what I'm asking... And it will be until my warranty is out before I think about doing this. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I dida 8.8 rear install about 3-4 weeks ago- now that I look back at it, the install wasn't too bad.

I liked the idea of knowing that the rear-axle was a factory assembled/inspected part, and had some use on it when I bought it. I got one for $225 locally and went for it.

COULDN'T BE ANY HAPPIER. No, i didn't really notice any change in acceleration because of the heavier axle. Also, mine came with 3.55s, which means it should have felt the same the way people were talking about how the heavier set-up will slow me down more... but it didn't. The car just gets up and goes!!! It would be more fun with 3.73s, but to be honest, I cruise at 80mph every day down my local freeways, and even with 3.55s it seems to be revving a little high for me.

So toanswer your question - it alldepends on your future plans. It's a factthat the 7.5in are going to be weaker than the 8.8s, but whether or not that applies to the actual horsepower potential of our v6sis up to you and your plans. N/A it should be fine. F/I might give you problemson a 7.5 t-lok. In the long run, you might be happier with a takeoff 8.8, as it is new (or very close to being), supposedly stronger, and will allow you more options for performance.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Superman6TNine
1st Gear Member

isnt the 8.8 a lot heavier than the 7.5? wouldnt that cost u hp? if u have f/i than i say 8.8 but just a stock v6....id go with 7.5.... plus its cheaper.

just my opinion
Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

If you may end up going X-Charger or the like, wouldn't having an 8.8 rear solve some problems in the future? I'm not quite sure what I'm asking
I am planing on getting a supercharger or turbo in a year or so, would an 8.8 be a requirment or could I get away with the 7.5?

It would be more fun with 3.73s, but to be honest, I cruise at 80mph every day down my local freeways, and even with 3.55s it seems to be revving a little high for me.
Can someone explain to me more about this because I wanted to get 4.10's and I cruise at about 80mph

And what gears come stock with a 2007 Mustang auto?

Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Detroit Tru Trac, gears and you are stronger than an 8.8 and lighter...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i got ford 3.73's and frpp t-lok installed for my 7.5 and it feels great. if you intend on pounding it at the track, then the 8.8 makes logical sense. for the everyday driver, 7.5 upgrade is plenty strong. it come down to which you can get a better deal on.

anybody know what the actual weight difference is between the 7.5 and 8.8?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

I'm more worried about the gear whine than anything.[:'(]
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steveo555

Can someone explain to me more about this because I wanted to get 4.10's and I cruise at about 80mph

And what gears come stock with a 2007 Mustang auto?

Taller gears will get you in your torque band faster because the engine will have to make more revolutions per revolutions of the rear wheels. In other words, the higher the gear number, the more times your driveshaft will have to rotate to complete a full revolution of the rear wheels. Our v6s come stock with 3.31s, which means around 80mph we cruise at ~2200 RPM I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). With 4.10s, since the engine will be spinning more per revolution of the rear wheels, we will be cruising 80mph at ~3000RPM or somewhere close to there, meaning you'll be burning more gas. Short term you probably won't notice too much of a change in gas mileage... but you can tell on the highway or on longer trips - after all you're making the engine work harder to maintain that 80mph with 4.10s.

Quick Reply: T-Loc & Gears vs GT takeoff rearend?