Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance or Appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Performance or Appearance?

Both. I think duals are a must.. but that's just me. First thing I did to my car was duals, then cai and tune. After that.... it's gonna be hard to stop modding.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

duals do show performance gains, just not gains over a aftermarket free-flowing muffler.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
ncollison

Which duals would you recomend? I'm thinking of the FRPP but if I get those then other mods will have to be put on hold, due to the price. Any others that sound just as good or better?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i think JBA's have been overlooked lately. they are less money than FRPP and have a very similar sound. i think FRPP muffs might be a bit louder and might be more attracting to some because of the "Ford Racing" name but they seem to share the same characteristics based off what i've heard and read.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

basically duals are duals as long as theyre made of stainless steel. dont buy anything made of aluminized steel. i love my Pypes exhaust. its made of 304 stainless. it fits well, just awesome imo. (also is much cheaper than FRPP or JBA) once you get the mid pipes, you can change the muffs later for a more distinct sound if you want. i love my violators, but more people seem to gravitate to the street-pro as its more docile. good luck withwhatever you choose!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:04 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

haha i like how 172 people have visited this thread and no one voted...
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

The poll doesn't work!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncollison

Which duals would you recomend? I'm thinking of the FRPP but if I get those then other mods will have to be put on hold, due to the price. Any others that sound just as good or better?
One of the most inexpensive ways to get into duals would be to buy GT take-off mufflers and an H-pipe. It's not aggressively loud while cruising around, yet sounds good when you punch it. This seems to satisfy alot of people for awhile. There's flexibliity with this mod because if you want different mufflers, you can purchase a set of FRPPs, or JBAs or whatever-- and use all of the existing pipe that you had with thetake-offs. I've changed exhaust systems 3 times.

Youtube doesn't provide the greatest sound, however there are numerous soundclips there if you want to listen to different 4.0 set ups.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

The dual kit from Ninosport looks promising. Paired with some GT takeoffs it makes a pretty good sounding dual setup. Search Youtube for some clips of that...
Old 05-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Performance first in my opinion. Although it is nice to have an awesome looking car, you can't see your exteriorappearance mods while you're driving. Performance mods are a lot more fun. I went with the Pypes dual exhaust kit with Street Pros and then a few weeks later I installed a C&L cold air intake and Bama tunes. The Pypes sound great and the C&L intake and Bama 93 race tune really woke up my car. Although the performance gain with exhaust is small I recommend changing it first. I am really happy with my Pypes kit and it cost less than $400 for a complete stainless steel dual exhaust system. The exhaust is a fun mod because of the new sound you will get out of your car plus it adds a little bit of performance. VMP has a cheap cold air intake and tune package that will give you a nice improvement in performance.

Quick Reply: Performance or Appearance?