Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance or Appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 PM
ncollison

Default Performance or Appearance?

Have my 08 Alloy Mustang, auto by the way, and want to start doing some mods to it. Not sure if I should start off doing performance mods or appearance mods.

If I go performace, I was thinking a dual exhaust set-up (maybe the FRPP or the Pypes with the violator mufflers) and a CAI (not sure if I want to get the tuner though, whats the best CAI without having it tuned?).

If I go appearance, maybe new grille, hood scoop, side louvers, and obviously rims and tires.

Let me know what you all think, I've seen a bunch of awesome cars that are giving me ideas for mine, also if you know the prices for them that would be great.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Performance or Appearance?

Both. Dual exhausts, new grill GT style with fog lights, C& L CAI and tune from BAMA immediately. Hood scoop, side louvers, wheels and tires arelater or never.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i went dual exhaust first which i guess some consider more appearance than performance. i think it worked great both ways.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Hold off on a CAI until you decide which tune(s) you want. I wouldn't waste any money on an intake that deosn't require a tune. VMP has a CAI/tuner/GTmuffler package deal that is well worth the money, especially when you consider that a tune eliminates the throttle lag on auto trannies.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

+1 on the elimination of throttle lag on autos. i always need to be careful of not screeching my tires everytime when leaving parking lots now[8D]. its pretty cool.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
ncollison

Whats the cheapest CAI and tune out there that isnt a piece of crap? Duals will probably be the first mod and maybe new grille (GT w/ fog lights look or the 3D Carbon gille with the pony emblem). Which duals would you recomend... FRPP, Pypes Mid-Mufflers, or the Pypes w/ the Violator mufflers?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

VMP CAI/TUNER is the best deal for performance & value, IMO.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Performance! The car already looks good. Get an Xcal w/tunes and some sort of performance muffler(or FRPP dual kit). Everyone says they just want the cai till they get the tune and drive there car! You will hear nothing but good things about tunes. VMP has a great 4.0 V6 performance package that WILL wake up your car. Check it out!The website is... vmptuning.com Good luck and Have fun.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
DarkHorse07

Well I went with an alternating process...First was the C&L intakew/tune, then HIDs,then I just had my FRPP GTA duals installed yesterday...next will be probably scoops or the saleen heritage front fascia. I think the FRPP duals are awesome, well worth it.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

i went dual exhaust first which i guess some consider more appearance than performance. i think it worked great both ways.
+1. Unless you have plans for a supercharger or turbo down the road, duals don't count as a performance mod since their performance gains are almost non-existant.

V6 duals are all about the look and the sound.

Quick Reply: Performance or Appearance?