Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Future Mods-Need Advice

Old 06-10-2008, 01:11 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Default Future Mods-Need Advice

I'm not a big racer or someone who goes to the track often, but I plan on modding my 07 4.0 a little. You know, just to have a little fun at red lights and maybe a few runs at the track.So far I have a GT rear bumper, GT rockers, Pypes x-pipe and midpipes, Borla Stingers(all on the way).I also have the GT fender liners and foam isolator so I'll put a GT front bumper and maybe a Ford Bullitt Grill on eventually. After this is out of the way I can beginthe performance mods. I just need some help with some of the terms and their benefits. If anyone could explain some things and maybe give me some links, that would be great. The car is an auto by the way.
[align=left]INTAKE & TUNE[/align]
- C&L intake + SCT XCAL3 +Bama Tune = Definate

GEARS

- Gears, I don't know anything about them. How much are they? What brand to buy? 3.73's or 4.10's considering a possible supercharger in the future.

SUSPENSION

- For this car to handle the power from a supercharger and other mods I suppose I would need some suspension upgrades? What's necessary? I also want to lower it.

I've heard the Eibach Pro Kit springs are good. Front and Rear Sway Bars seem to be popular(FRPP or Helwig?) What about shocks and struts? I've heard of Tokico D-spec? Anything else important to suspension? I like to do things right the first time, but this car isn't going to see the track very often so I don't need too much. Just some nice basics.

REAR END

- T-lok
- Tru Trac
- 8.8 Rear End

^^ Can someone explain this stuff? I don't even know what it is.

All I know is a T-lokis the cheapest and simplest wayto get power to both rear tires(I think?). I've heard Tru Tracs are even better. And 8.8 rear end, this is stock on the GT? What is it? I don't know if I'll be pushing enough power to need one, but please inform me.

DRIVESHAFT

Is this an important upgrade? Aluminum is the way to go? What brand?

TIRES

I know if I get some new rims, 18's will be the limit. I've got 17" GT take offs now. 18 x 9 or 18 x 10? What size tires?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

I don't know what order I'll do the mods in, CAI and tune will be first of course, but any suggestions?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Future Mods-Need Advice

Anyone?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Holy cow, lots of questions. Just keep reading the forum you'll learn all about this stuff. Go back through the old threads, they explain Everything!!! Anything that you can think of to ask has already been asked at some point.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ptkthekid

Holy cow, lots of questions. Just keep reading the forum you'll learn all about this stuff. Go back through the old threads, they explain Everything!!! Anything that you can think of to ask has already been asked at some point.
Yeah I'm new to this stuff that's why I have a lot of questions. I would go through the forums but I think the search feature isn't working.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Stick03
2nd Gear Member

Ya, reading is your best best. The search engine isn't working, so google your question including "07 mustang v-6" and you'll definitely get threads from our forum.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

GEARS
- Gears, I don't know anything about them. How much are they? What brand to buy? 3.73's or 4.10's considering a possible supercharger in the future.
V6 Auto - I would recommend 3.73's. That is what I have and they are great. 4.10's will work, but i think they would wind up too much on the highway, as my 3.73's wind up quiet a bit already.

SUSPENSION

- For this car to handle the power from a supercharger and other mods I suppose I would need some suspension upgrades? What's necessary? I also want to lower it.

I've heard the Eibach Pro Kit springs are good. Front and Rear Sway Bars seem to be popular(FRPP or Helwig?) What about shocks and struts? I've heard of Tokico D-spec? Anything else important to suspension? I like to do things right the first time, but this car isn't going to see the track very often so I don't need too much. Just some nice basics.
Anykind of sway bars will be an improvement. Base improvement would be to add GT take off swaybars and poly bushings, going with FRPP or Hellwig will be even better. Can't go wrong with either.

As far as suspension for the track, if your going with a supercharger you might need to get some LCA's (Lower Control Arms) to help with wheel hop.

REAR END

- T-lok
- Tru Trac
- 8.8 Rear End

^^ Can someone explain this stuff? I don't even know what it is.

All I know is a T-lokis the cheapest and simplest wayto get power to both rear tires(I think?). I've heard Tru Tracs are even better. And 8.8 rear end, this is stock on the GT? What is it? I don't know if I'll be pushing enough power to need one, but please inform me.
let's start backwards here. You have a 7.5 rear end, the 8.8 is bigger/stronger and used on the GT. It already has a t-lok. A t-lok gives power to both wheels. The detroit tru-tracs are designed for high rpm launches at the track. It is better all around than the t-lok, but it is only needed if you plan on doing some serious track launching. Otherwise a t-lok should work just fine.

As far as the driveshaft and tires, I don't know much about the driveshafts other than going with an aluminum will help with putting rwhp to the wheels better and smoother.

As far as tires, 18's look great, and the difference between 18x9 & 18x10 are how wide they are. I went with 18x9 and just used staggered tires. Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:26 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

^^Thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

If I get the C&L Intake and XCAL 3 first, will it need to be re-tuned when I get the 3.73 gears, suspension, T-lok? How do I go about doing this?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Isn't the driveshaft in the V6 only good till like 115-120mph?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Isn't the driveshaft in the V6 only good till like 115-120mph?
I believe so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future Mods-Need Advice