Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Bumper-First Attempt Failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:56 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear Bumper-First Attempt Failed

My new rear GT bumper came in today and I thought I'd try putting it on. I used the How To: Install GT Bumpers thread , but I still couldn't manage it. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'll need some help. I took pictures of my problems though! This is my first time posting pictures so sorry if they're too big. Please help me!

Ok here is the thread > https://mustangforums.com/m_1121391/tm.htm

Here is the Rear Bumper Diagram > http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...r%20bumper.pdf

First step is to remove trunk trim to reveal 4 nuts. So I took this off, and the nuts were there!

I assume these are the nuts. Now howam I supposed to get any sort of tool in there to remove these?

^^ These are the middle two nuts. There is another to each side.

^^ Close up

Once I get those off the next step is to remove the four screws on the fender liners. There are two on each side.

The top screw is a piece of cake, you just use a screw driver. The problem is there is no room anywhere to fit a screwdriver to take the bottom one out.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Bumper-First Attempt Failed

You use a deep socket on the inside and did you try removing the wheel...
Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Its A Stang Thang
2nd Gear Member

I installed my GT Bumpers over a year ago, but I remember having similar issues. First off getting at the bolts is easy, find an extender for your ratchet, then work at a slight angle, and you will take care of that.

The deal with the tire and the screws is pretty simple. Either you can go out and buy a fixed 90oradjustable degree screwdriver, and then its easy, or you can reach your hand back behind the fender liner and try twisting the screw out from behind via hand. The screws don't actually tap into anything, they just latch through the fender liner then hang out the back.

Or... duh, you can jack up the car and remove the wheel!

Hopefully you can figure it out, I was only 17 when I changed my bumpers. Took me around a weekends worth of work, but I finally got a hang of it. I'm wishing though that I had my clear turn signals at the time cause it would have saved me two hours of struggle that I endured yesterday for those. Talk about a bitch!

Good luck!!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Do you have jack stands? Just jack the back up and pop the tires off then put the new bumper on, then the tires. if not just take one tire off then then unscrew the screw put the tire back on, then do the other side, then you gotta jack it up again to put the bumper on... that's what i would do... Or if you can get a small crewdriver in ther try that...
Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Ok for the nuts in the truck you can use a deep socket to get to them. Now for the bottom ones where the tires are, you may have to remove the tire to get to them. Unless you have a short handle screw driver.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

No I didn't, but I considered it. I just wanted to see if there were any other options. To the rest who posted something helpful, THANKS! My dad will be home tomorrow, and we're going to get this bumper on!

*EDIT* Does the car have to be on jackstands to get the new bumper on?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

No as long and you can get to the 4 screws in the wheel area.

ORIGINAL: AlloySixxer

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

No I didn't, but I considered it. I just wanted to see if there were any other options. To the rest who posted something helpful, THANKS! My dad will be home tomorrow, and we're going to get this bumper on!

*EDIT* Does the car have to be on jackstands to get the new bumper on?
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Mr. L
1st Gear Member

1. For the 4 bolts in the inner trunk, I used a pair of needle nose pliers.

2. If you don't want to go through the hassel of jacking up your car and removing the tires, I used a stubbed or midget screw-driver - it took a little time, but it was small enough for me to screw within the space of the tire and rear fender.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
mustangpogi
2nd Gear Member

Go to autozone and buy the L shape screwdriver, no needto take off the rear tire.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

For the screws, I used my 1/4" drive ratchet, a small 1/4" drive socket, and stuck a small cross tip screw driver bit in the socket. Put a piece of tape wrapped around the bit and socket to hold it in, and unscrew it.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper-First Attempt Failed