Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Upgraded 05 V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Upgraded 05 V6

Hey guys,

Got the GT mufflers today from the ebay guy, very quick shipping! Just installed the right side, it took 31 minutes. Much of that was wrestling with the bracket bolt that sits right above the muffler [8D] Installation went easily enough and I did not have the tailpipe clearance problems others have reported. I can't tell any difference at all in the sound. I've read that the muffler needs to break in a bit, so maybe it will improve after I put some miles on it. But for now I am pretty surprised that it made basically no difference.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 AM
katonet

I did a duel exhaust set up on mine with 40 series flowmasters and the dealership thought it was a gt when they heard it, A cai will make it sound better, the muffs do need to break in but they will not sound much diff. than they do now.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:36 AM
katonet

I would take the cai over the k&n filter, even the dealership will tell you that a filter in a box sucking hot air will make you lose horse power, and a cai is a better choice.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I just drove it to the gas station with the top down and it is indeed louder than it was before. I can't tell with the top up, but with the top down it's a noticable difference. I am amazed that Ford was able to make the V6 sound so deep, it definitely sounds like a V8. It did with the stock muffler too, but the GT muffler has that same throaty sound but turned up a notch. As others have mentioned, the stainless tip looks better too. The tip is also a larger diameter and extends straight out of the muffler instead of angling slightly down like the stock tip.

Next step is to take it to the muffler shop and get that left side muffler on there, the one thing I really dislike about the six is the look of the single exhaust. It just ain't right
Old 05-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Smoov_1

well..heres the way I looked at it...

First there really isnt a good CAI out there for the V6 yet. Second.. there would definitely have to be some tuning involved with the addition of a CAI...third..All the CAI's i have seen sit in the exact same place as the original box, so you are getting the same hot air...fourth...claims of 8-11 horsepower on a 200$ CAI vs claims of 8 horspower on a 37$ filter...you do the math...

I dont know..I think its a better deal for now...not many companies are putting much effort into beafing up the V6...They are all aiming for the GT crowd...which is back asswards thinking if you ask me... Look at Flowmaster they dont even make a good muffler for the V6 yet... at least thats what they told me a few days ago on the phone.

As For the exhuast deal...I threw on a gt muffler that I got OEM for 30 bucks..Im satsified with the sound and extra HP.

I heard weird things about going dual..some back pressure issue..I dont know but I guess you got the bucks for tune..you might be able to swing it
Old 05-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

If you go duals with the GT mufflers, the trick is not to go true duals all the way to the manifolds. Y off of the pipe after the stock Y (just after the cat's) and take that over to the left muffler, and you've got duals but with enough back pressure to keep the sixxer happy. Basically it's a 2 to 1 to 2 setup. I've read that you can go true duals if you go down to 2-1/4" pipes to increase the back pressure, but of course that would require a complete system replacement. I'm going to do the Y setup, I'm really only doing it to get the looks of the duals.

Something else to be said for the drop-in K&N is it's easy to swap back to stock if you need to take her in for some warranty work
Old 05-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Smoov_1

Will FORD get upset about the K&N filter? If so I am screwed becuase I put the sticker on the oustide of the box. hmm Maybe I should take that off..just thought it was a good Idea so no turkey decides to replace it during an oil change..(too lazy to do that myself I guess) I figure ..take it in grab some lunch pick it back up..super lazy.. I know but hey those guys need to put food on the table too, so in a way im giving back to the community..yeah..that's my story and im sticking to it..but seriously, will ford trip?

Old 05-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

The thing about the K&N is the whole reason it helps develop more power is it is a less restrictive filter. Unfortunately in the air filter world, less restrictive = more dirt allowed through. It is possible that if you have some internal engine problems that require warranty work and the dealer sees that K&N filter, they could blame the filter and refuse to honor the warranty. I wouldn't worry about taking the sticker off unless you get into the unlikely situation of having to take it in for warranty repair on the motor. If you do, I'd swap the stock filter back on and remove the sticker just to cover yourself.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Here's a thread about air filters:

https://mustangforums.com/m_497357/tm.htm

Here is the test data mentioned in the above thread:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

The test makes the K&N look horrible, but keep in mind they are testing for filtering effectiveness, not performance enhancement.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
dafaic

I made my own CAI.

Quick Reply: Upgraded 05 V6