Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust and the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust and the warranty

Yup, everything i've done to my car has totally voided the warranty and i could care less.
JK
The dealer could void your exhaust warranty but probably not. My dealerlikes my duals and said a mustang without duals is just wrong.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
am2slim69

is the ford kit a performance kit or just a cosmetic upgrade for the V6. it sounds really cool though.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 AM
dnlbeave

did anybody put new headers on when they got their exhaust im talkin about redoin the whole system not just the mufflers
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
redmenace

http://www.sema.org/Main/SemaOrgHome.aspx?ID=50100

I came across this site, which might help clear things up. If the part says Ford on it, and you didn't get it for free, it's covered. Other than that, they have to prove the part caused the damage.

The emissions warranty is interesting, too
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Modifying your exhaust to duals voids your warranty. By significantly decreasing your back pressure it increases your intake airflow by reducing residual gas in the cylinder. This is what they meant by it effecting the intake. This in turn causes your air inlet tube to "bow" making it considered a modified intake due to the additional pressure and different shape etc. My scervice rep was going over the dangers of duals on a non-dual car with me earlier.

Also, in the warranty it clearly says that if you modify your car your whole warranty is voided, including sub warranties. For example if your drive train warranty is voided due to exhaust, your main warranty is voided. So if your exhaust is modified and your seat cushions become discolored, you will need to replace those yourself because your installed exhaust.

There are currently no consumer laws or anything to guard against this because a car company is the ones that writes the contract and you have to accept it. It's not advertising that's controled by the FCC or production which is controled by consumer protection, it's a legal contract which as you know can be shady...
Incorrect. I bought the FRPP kit and installed it myself, after that I had to take it in for service because my exhaust was rattling due to a vibration. They asked what kind of exhaust I had and I told the FRPP. They covered it all under warranty including adjusting my FRPP clamps etc.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AlloySixxer

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

I've been saying for a long time duals on the 4.0 is a bad idea for many reasons. It looks good and that's about it. Adding an axle back is the way to go.
Why are duals bad on a 4.0?
Putting duel exhaust on a vehicle not designed for it can cause a couple problems. One is backpressure. Too much exhaust coming out can lead to seals wearing out prematurely. Second is compression. If you add a cia along with dual exhaust and keep the same compression ratio it can throw the computer off which could cause pinging, poor mileage, poor power, or any host of other problems.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

First of all, it DUAL exhaust not duel.

Second, the engines in our cars were designed by Ford and Ford themselves created a DUAL exhaust setup which works on our engines. Therefore you too are incorrect.

Would you like a link to the Ford Racing Performance Parts website which has the FRPP dual exhaust kit for the 4.0?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

Nope. I know it's there, I'm just saying. If you want to be a GT poser then by all means be my guest! I won't stop ya.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
redmenace

So much of the stuff you hear about backpressure is a bunch of crap. Anyways, if you have the stock manifolds, you're still going to have backpressure at the engine. It definately wont cause damage to your intake, and your engine isn't going to have problems because of compression. Going with full intake and full exhaust, starting from the exhaust ports on the engine to the muffler, still wont cause pinging or any of that other crap. I really don't know about the seals, it doesn't make sense to me, but I've never heard it come up as either true or false.

There's people with big dual exhausts on small displacement 4 bangers, without these problems. They lose power and sound like crap, but it's not causing engine damage.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

Nope. I know it's there, I'm just saying. If you want to be a GT poser then by all means be my guest! I won't stop ya.
LOL, so adding dual exhaust makes someone a GT poser? That means Ford is helping all those V6's become GT posers. Interesting.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and the warranty