Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Burning Smell....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
MikeD916
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Burning Smell....

I also had a burning smell. I wasnt sure if it was oil or if the smell was coming from the tranny. Just had an oil change and now the smell is gone. Almost wonder if I had a small leak from the previous oil change. It was bad enough the I could smell it when I came to a stop and had the windows down.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM
NocturnalV6
2nd Gear Member

Wow, this is a more common problem than I thought. Mine was a faint plastic smell too. But then again I was 15,000 miles over due for an oil change[:@]I know, I know... But when I smelt it the strongest I wasn't due yet and just made a 6 hour drive straight to Nashville...so I'm sure not too many things under my hood could've been cool lol
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Thats the thing, I just got an Oil change about a week ago...It cant be that...I was looking around for maybe a plastic bag stuck underneath but, its pretty hot out there and I didnt see anything... I'll take another look as soon as the sun isnt so damn unforgiving.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

probabaly a bag.....could have been tires...it was well over 100 degrees in many parts of socal this weekend....in addition if your driving on the highway in this kind of heat you migth smell some plastic/rubber from the tires....i have had this on long road trips with other cars in less than cooler weather when i used to travel for a liviing.....i had this one night after i went ove a plastic bag.....by the time i got home it was gone...the bag didnt stick up under the car tho...i just went over it and think part of it melted to the underside......

Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

i had a burning smell right after i had the exhaust put on nothing after that. maybe check the amp power wire. could be ran next to something hot. just a thought
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

One of the sweet smells I experienced was hot brake fluid.

Some components are coated and/or painted and/or contaminated by greasy fingerprints and other substances that will smell upon being heated, but many don't entirely give up their potential for exuding odors until they've been heated longer than a usual commuter trip or hotter than might be expected in daily driving.

Twice I've painted mufflers with caliper paint; both times ordinary driving heated them to the point the paint smelled, and then stopped smelling. Later on, I drove 50 mph in second gear for half a mile, a situation that put more heat into the muffler than the air could easily carry away. The paint really smelled again, but for the last time.

You might have finally exceeded the "cure" time or temperature for some component or other.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Nothings been painted thoI really cant determine what it is...It doesnt seem to affect anything at all, AC runs fine, no smell comin through the AC at all... It happens mostly when i come to a stop...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:51 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

the reason you smell it at a stop is because your not driving away from the smell...but is it not going away...a bag will go away in a day or two.....if it keeps happening i would have someone put it on a lift and look underneath...i am assuming the smell is outside the car not inside.....
Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 AM
66gt350ps

I had a burning smell in my Ford Explorer for months. Finding it drove me nuts. Found that it was from the air vent fan speed switch resister. The blower motor resister is made up of wire springs that are exposed to in coming debris like very small leaves that come in through the cowl. When the fan is set at lower speeds, the resister coils heat up and cause the debris to burn. Easy fix by going under the hood and removing the blower resistor assmbly in the blower housing. Use a vacuum with a narrow nozzle or hose to suck out the debris. Be careful not to damage the resister coils or the heater assembly fins. If this all sounds like a weird fix, get a Chiltons manual to see how to gain access (Haynes manual doesn't show it).
Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66gt350ps

I had a burning smell in my Ford Explorer for months. Finding it drove me nuts. Found that it was from the air vent fan speed switch resister. The blower motor resister is made up of wire springs that are exposed to in coming debris like very small leaves that come in through the cowl. When the fan is set at lower speeds, the resister coils heat up and cause the debris to burn. Easy fix by going under the hood and removing the blower resistor assmbly in the blower housing. Use a vacuum with a narrow nozzle or hose to suck out the debris. Be careful not to damage the resister coils or the heater assembly fins. If this all sounds like a weird fix, get a Chiltons manual to see how to gain access (Haynes manual doesn't show it).
Sounds like a lot of work LOL I doubt thats whats causing it tho, I'ma do what Dan said and wait to see if it goes away within the next few days, I'm ruling it down to 2 possible causes.

1. Plastic Bag
2. Amp wiring

Quick Reply: Burning Smell....