Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Muffler Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Default Muffler Cutout

Dang it...this no search thing stinks!

I have some GT takeoffs en route and already talked to a local muffler shop about welding in an H and connecting the other muffler. They said no problem. I didnt talk price...I was figuring around $75-$125 for the labor and whatever pipe they need..is that about right?

I don't know where to go to get the other cutout done though...any suggestions? Is this a DIY thing?

I am going for the looks more than anything, so an axle back solution is best for me. I do like the sound of the GT mufflers on the 6er though.

Another dumb question...Ford wont blow a gasket about the muffler mod right? Obviously, if I have any muffler issues...I am on my own. However, if say, a seal starts leaking on the motor...they are not going to blame my GT mufflers right?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
JimC

Default RE: Muffler Cutout

The cut out is very easy to do. Download the template from the Pypes website - just be sure that you print it "full size" rather than using the default "make it fit" that adobe will do.

I used a box cutter to cut mine, the bumper is very soft and there is nothing behind where you cut. I first outlined the cut area with several holes with a small drill bit, then "connect the dots?" with the box cutter. Take an empty wine bottle and wrap sand paper around it and sand the cut smooth.

Can't answer your question about price - that is going to vary by geography and shop. In my city I had quotes of $500 to $100 to do the install and fab up a cross over. Since I had a full cat back system I didn't need the pipes fabbed up and they only charged me $25 to install my parts.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illin

Another dumb question...Ford wont blow a gasket about the muffler mod right? Obviously, if I have any muffler issues...I am on my own. However, if say, a seal starts leaking on the motor...they are not going to blame my GT mufflers right?
Ford has to prove that your mod caused the problem for them to void the warranty. So if a seal started to leak on your motor they would have to prove it was the mufflers.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

FIXED

ORIGINAL: JimC
Take an OLD empty wine bottle and wrap sand paper around it and sand the cut smooth.
If you use a bottle that you just emptied yourself, you're liable to be so drunk you'll cut the bumper up to the taillight!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
JimC

That's true Bill, I hadn't thought of that aspect of it!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Here ya go....template for the bumper cut out;

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-bumper-cutout02.pdf