Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 V6 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
My05Stang

Default 05 V6 Mods

Could someone please let me in on some 05 V6 modifications? I was suppsed to be getting a V8, but the market adjustment was 8k, no thank you! But I'm a chick who loves fast muscle cars (Mustangs best of course) and want to make my new 05 Stang faster My Stang is in the shop as I type getting a GT dual exhaust put on. But other than that and the GT fog lights, I'm not really sure what to get done to it. Any ideas would be appriciated!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:07 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 05 V6 Mods

If you can afford it...

Start with a CAI or at least a K&N drop in air filter... helps your responce...

The dual exhaust will help to (haven't done that myself, but it's one of my next projects)

Then I would go with the XCalibrator tuner... get the tune for 93 octane...

I've also recently installed my nitrous system, and I love it! I wouldn't recommend over a 40-50 shot unless you want to switch to forged internals... or you don't care about your engine...

I also just received my 4.10 gears for the 7.5 rearend... I have a t-lok (positraction) on order, and when those arive I'm going to have the shop across the street install them...

I'm waiting on a super/turbo to be available, but the only company I know of that's making one is explorer express, and they are just altering the Explorer charger for the Mustang...

If you want to go farther than that, talk to suerpsizmotorsports.com, they have heads and forged internals available for the 4.0... I'm waiting on being able to afford the engine rebuild... then going with a charger of some nature and a 50-100 shot of nitrous...

Any further and you're gonna have to replace the 7.5 rearend with something larger, or you'll break it... might have to beef up the tranny/driveshaft too...

Hope that helps and it's not too much info...

Oh, and props to a girlie wanting a mustang (and more importantly wanting to mod it)... I know some guys feel insulted by it or crap like that... but I think it's awesome for a girl to be into cars...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:26 PM
My05Stang

Thanks, I'll keep those things in mind. I'm not into making the apperance any different, I love the stock Mustang look. Body kits and what not just aren't me. But nothing beats the sound/performance of a Mustang, any Mustang, V6 or V8. Its just something about muscle cars And what about a chip for V6's? I read up on them but I'm not sure how they would be on the new V6's...

Oh, and as for this chick being into Mustangs, you better believe it! [8D]
Old 05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

I don't really have any intention of changing the appearance either, unless it somehow helps my HP go up... the car is beautiful, why change the way it looks...

There is no 'chip' for the 05 mustang... that's what the XCalibrator tuner is for... it re-flashes your ECM with whatever tune is loaded into it...

I have the automatic, and prior to having the XCalibrator tuner, I really couldn't spin the tires more than a squeak (even with the TCS off)...
Now I gotta be careful... I've went sliding back and forth down several roads, tires spinning... (I know it's not good for the tires, but they're on the list for things to be replaced)

The XCalibrator is the only tuner/chip available for the 05 V6 stang that I know of

Anyhow... the weather is nice out and I wanna go ride around with my top down
Old 05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
doc0075579
1st Gear Member

I have added the Xcalibur tuner, CAI, and Magnaflow Axle back.... Next week I am having 4.10 gears put in, T-Loc is on back order until 25 May. In the next few months I am looking into having JBA shorty headers put on. I went with the Magnaflow axle back because of the expense of a "true duel" set-up being much more expensive and the gains not enough to justify (Magnaflow states that both their y pipe duel set-up and their axleback each give us 10 horses at the wheels). In 6 years when my warranty is up, I may put a super charger on. At that time, I will invest in the duels.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:41 AM
katonet

I see a lot of good suggestions, but the best besides the cai and tuner are the headers, take a look at the small cast iron things they call headers and you will know very fast they got to go. Intake and exhaust first then worry about the rear end. Get it all in line before you think about a nos system, you will not get the full effects if you half *** it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 AM
My05Stang

Well thanks for all the ideas! I just got my Stang back from the shop and the dual exhaust sounds awesome. And its good to know I'm not the only person who thinks a V6 Mustang isn't a ***** car Have any of you heard people talking bad about the 05's? I hear and read it all the time...people saying how ugly and "un-mustang-like" the 05's are and how the people that buy them are snotty and get real attitudes about them. When on the other hand, if they knew anything about Mustangs, they would know that they def are close shadows of the 69 fastbacks. People...I tell ya... Some people just choose to hate what they sometimes can't afford
Old 05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

The only place I ever hear people trashing the '05 Mustangs is on Mustang forums. I think they're compensating for feelings of inadequacy I've gotten nothing but great comments from people on the streets though.

Personally I've liked nearly all the Mustangs made over the years, but I never flipped out over them until the '05s came out. I really liked the looks of the '05 from the first time I saw one on the streets. But when I went to a dealership to get a closer look and saw a black vert with IUP and red interior.... well that pretty much did it! I've never washed a car so much in my life. I've had it less than 3 weeks and have washed it at least 6 times. DON'T BUY A NEW CAR IN THE SPRING!! [8D]

Did you install GT take-off duals? If so, for the left muffler did you have them Y the pipe in behind the stock Y (just past the cat's)? I've just got the right side GT on now, but I'm planning on installing the left as well.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: katonet

I see a lot of good suggestions, but the best besides the cai and tuner are the headers, take a look at the small cast iron things they call headers and you will know very fast they got to go. Intake and exhaust first then worry about the rear end. Get it all in line before you think about a nos system, you will not get the full effects if you half *** it.
Have you actually looked at the stock headers on the 05 V6? They were going to be my first replacement. Then I actually opened the hood and looked at them. Now, they aren't tuned racing headers or anything like that, but for a stock header, they look really good. The tubes are actually tubes, it doesn't just dump into a big chamber right off the block. They may not be the exact same length, or tuned specifically... but you can do a lot more with the $300-400 headers are gonna run you. Especially if down the line you are considering a twin turbo setup (I am), and might have to replace the headers again anyways.

Why do so many people call it nos? NOS is one of many companies that makes N2O systems, the gas is N2O... Or are you advertising for Nitrous Oxide Sysems (NOS)?

but on the subject of that, I currently run a 25-40 shot depending on the nozzle I put in...
Cost of my nitrous system? $199...
time to install/uninstall if I have to go to the dealer? about 10 minutes...
chances that such a small shot is going to damage my engine? prolly like 0.2%
the fun I have every time I push that button? priceless

sure, I want more eventually, but until I can afford to rebuild my engine and/or the parts are available that I need... I'd like to have fun and I'd like to avoid 'double doing' expensive items like headers, pistons, heads, etc...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
My05Stang

As a response to your exhaust question, Tres Wright, they took off the the stock exhaust and put in a flow masters from the cat converter out. Thats what I did with my old 2000 convert when I got it and it worked out great. (However, do-it-yourself'ers took too much time for me, so this time I got a pro to do it, lol) As for buying a new car in the Spring, I totaly agree! Mine is a black convert and it has a green tint to it because of all the pollen! I wash mine about 4 times a week and I've had it for two weeks.

And as for people trash talking the 05's, I hear it a good bit. A guy at a gas station the other day came up to me and just started saying all the things he didn't like about them (meanwhile, hes driving an old beat up camaro). And when he stoped to take a breath, I said "Now is it you really don't like them, or is it the fact that this 21 year old women can afford it, drive it, and make it look good and your driving that piece of **** Chevy?" Needless to say he shut his mouth, got in his POS, and left. Ahhh, thats a story I will be sure and tell the grand kids...

Quick Reply: 05 V6 Mods