Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

alright yall... I need a lil help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Reikat
2nd Gear Member

Default alright yall... I need a lil help

I just made my car into a Honda Mustang...

basically I failed and chose a poor exhaust set up... true divorced flowmaster duals... bad idea. it doesn't sound extremely bad to tell you the truth, but what's getting me is the lack of back pressure... it's slowing it down a lot. SO... I need ideas for the midpipe... I think the X pipe would be good for increasing the back pressure close enough to stock. I don't think that an H pipe would be enough back pressure, even though it would make it sound better... I really don't care about the sound though right now, I just want it to have about the same back pressure as stock... any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated...
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: alright yall... I need a lil help

Yup get an X fabricated from a shop, or you can buy an X pipe somewhere (I got the Pypes X). Another option is get a GT takeoff H, which will probably be the cheaper option. Any clips of the exhaust btw?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

First thing I'd try, if you're just concerned about a percieved drop in performance, would be to pull the positive battery cable for ten minutes, then put it back on and go driving. This will force the car to relearn the part of the engine management strategy that it sets on it's own.

If you do end up changing the exhaust, I recommend an "H". I had both on my car, first a Pypes "X" then a Ford "H" with the other exhaust components unchanged. The "H" sounds FAR better, and the back pressure effects of either would be similar (an "X" is actually supposed to improve cylinder scavenging vs an "H", and at least theoretically is supposed to have lower backpressure)
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Honda-Stang eh? that sucks...hope you get it fixed
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
chavalo_nm1
3rd Gear Member

Just put some honda badges on it.
It'll fix it right up.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I've had both and X and an H (with flow-through Borla Stinger mufflers), and while the H sounds better, there is definitely a drop in backpressure with the H pipe.

The X pipe still sounds pretty good, but there is no noticable loss of backpressure with the X.

The drop in backpressure with the H pipe wasn't serious enough that it bothered me, but it was definitely a noticable difference.

If the backpressure drop was something you felt and didn't like, stay away from the H and go with an X pipe. Still sounds/looks great, but no backpressure drop.

And regarding Torch_Vert's scavenging comment, my understanding is that scavenging is only an issue with the V8 engine (something regarding the firing order/pattern of the cylinders I believe) and is a non-issue with a V6 setup. Your V6 will not scavenge exhaust (for an increase in power) no matter what you do to the exhaust setup.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Reikat
2nd Gear Member

ok... so maybe I'm just slow becaue I'm tired, but it seems slightly indecisive... However, from what I'm understanding is that the X pipe reduces back pressure more than an H pipe...

just to be clear onI want to do... I want the set up that has the least flow, aka I want to keep my engine from breathing so much... so would that be X or H?

and sorry... no clips of the exhaust... just imagine a really big angry honda... lol
Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I see conflicting responses. Most posts I've read say the H has slightlyless back pressure than the Y. The H sounds better than the Y.The H is slower from a dead stop, due to reduced back pressure.
That said, Inoticed no loss of power with the GT takeoffs and an H.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone trying to increase their backpressure.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

2 words Mac Prochamber

Quick Reply: alright yall... I need a lil help