Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yet another CAI Question

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 AM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another CAI Question

I agree...the tune is a MUST with a CAI.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:24 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

I installed S&B CAIafter visitng their website as replacement. After putting 65,000 miles on this filter, I gave their Head Quarters a call to asked them if I returned, would they clean and re-oil for me while I buy a new one. Long story short, I receiveda new filter, installed it and sent the old one back to their factory in CA. They e-mailed me a few days later and said they will not be cleaning my old filter, but will be sending a brand new one. Now I have a back-up and whenthe existing is due for cleaning in 65,000 more miles, I will callthem again and see if they will cleanfree of charge!I sure like the "ROAR," when I tromp on it!

Interesting Note: MM&FF October 06 [If I recall the right issue],they tested Tuned and Untuned CAI's on a GT automatic. There was virtually not difference in the 1/4 mile vskeeping the factory stock system. CAI's are basically to increase your MPG, NOT speed.Thought you'd like to know if you all ready didn't
Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teetertotter

CAI's are basically to increase your MPG, NOT speed.
MPG is a good enough reason for me! My mechanic friend told me the mpg's would increase a bit, not massively, but a noticable bit, something to do with more air to the engine means it uses less gas to produce power. (think Igot that right?)I basically just like the look of a CAI instead of the plain box. Since I don't want to go the tune route, I'm not after speed. Car goes fast enough as it is in my opinion. Not out racing ricers or anything
Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4Rowdy

Ok, I called K & N this morning and found out that there is no real difference between the two items. The Typhoon as they call it is .47 hp less than the FIPK becasue of the steel tube vs plastic tube. That's right a whole point 47. Woopee, no big deal really. They also said that you will definately feel a difference from just the cai without the tune, of course it won't launch you back into the rear seat, but it is still a power difference. Good enough for me!

And for those getting sold on the S & B intake, do your price shopping. Iordered the K &N setup on sale w/ a discount and free shipping for $243 from lmperformance.com
Now just the annoying wait for 7 days for it to get here!

Thanks to you guys that responded though, I do take everything that is said into consideration! But, I'd rather take baby-steps instead of jump in full bore.
The S&B is $200 shipped...not that $43 makes a big diff.

BUT, the S&B is also the FRPP...S&B makes the Ford CAI...so you are getting a very well made product. I am sure you will be happy with the K&N though.

I DID notice a change with just the CAI and no tune. As soon as I get back from Iraq I am gong to add a Bamachips tune w/ Predator. I will drive it like that a couple of years and then go FI.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

Ok, for those who are interested: The K & NCAI has arrived and is installed, as of 7/24/08. Haven't had it long enough to check the gas mileage increase, but YES there is a noticable difference while driving. The car accelerates effortlessly, not as boggy as before. As soon as pressure is applied to the gas pedal the car moves without waiting a second for it to build up power. Once cruising on the highway, it seems to be easier to gain additional speed for passing without pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. Plus it looks good
So, I'm happy. Thanks folks!
P.S. yeh, I'll geta tune, just not right now.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
hunter306
1st Gear Member

Looks nice under the hood, but I'm glad to hear that you're seeing noticeable performance improvements as well.

I ordered my C&L w/ Tune from Bama a week and a half ago, but apparently the C&L was out of stock... So I'm still waiting for my CAI to arrive. I'm really excited to feel it open up a little with these two mods.

Car looks great... and man, is that engine compartment clean
Old 07-25-2008, 04:07 PM
harleystang
1st Gear Member

It looks really great Rowdy...good to hear the performance increase as well....good looking car Bro!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Rowdy, is that the CDC replacement grille? looks great. my stang has been begging me for one...lol[8D]
Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

Rowdy, is that the CDC replacement grille? looks great. my stang has been begging me for one...lol[8D]
Yes, it is the CDC grille. Real happy with it, strong, sturdy, solid build.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

a little late here, i am upgrading to a CL Intake with a custom tune, so i will be selling the S&B Intake that i currently have....

pm me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another CAI Question