Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trying to decide a V6 or V8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
fastback79

Default Trying to decide a V6 or V8?

Going to purchase a daily driver (20 miles round trip to work) does anyone regret not getting a V8 or are you satisfied with your V6?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to decide a V6 or V8?

I'm very satisfied. I bought my 4.0 more as a recreational/project car, and it's done everything I've asked of it well. If I were buying one as a daily driver, I'd go the 4.0 route without hesitation.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

If your going 20 miles round trip, to be honest, thats short in my book. I love my 6 but would maybe take an 8 if insurance wasnt so much more. The 4.0 engine though is a very good engine and many mods for it if you go that route!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
1badV6
2nd Gear Member

4.0 alll the way the 4.6 is nice but the insurance is killer
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
rock61992
1st Gear Member

You know at first i wished i had a GT, but honestly i love my sixxer, and the several grand you will save can easily go towards modding your car and making it your own. With the few mods i have(dual exhaust, tint, wheels & tires, and remote start alarm) i get stares from all over the place as if it was a $60,000 beast. Unless you are planning on doing some hard core street racing, id say the 4.0 is a perfect daily driver. Good looks, good sound (with exhaust) and your sixxer would get you from A to B in style and would always keep you happy without the overkill of haveing a V8 for a DD. Good luck either way you go, and welcome to mustang forums as well as the rest of the mustang world.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

I agree. I didnt want a 6 at first. But I wanted a S197 and this fit my budget perfectly. Now it is loud with the exhaust and for a couple of grand I'll throw in an X-Charger and be faster than a stock GT with better gas mileage and cheaper insurance.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Hifonix
2nd Gear Member

V6 with a twin turbo is my route atm....

If I did it all over again I'd get a V8 manual without hesitation. My daily drive is about the same as yours.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:09 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If your even asking this question.. then the v6 will meet or exceed your expectations.

That said... If a GT was within my long-term budget when I purchased my Mustang.. I would have went with the GT. However, I have run into many different scenarios were I could have traded my car in for a GT.. and you know what.. when I sat down and thought about it.. my car was exactly what I needed.

But I do have to qualify that statement.. This car is exactly what I needed only after I put some cash into it.

I have:

CAI with tune
3.73 gears and locking differential
dual exhaust
lowering springs

Without those things.. I can honestly say that I would not be as satisfied as I am with my car.

If you crave performance.. get the GT

If you crave performance your way.. either choice is nice

If you want a great looking daily driver that has better than average performance..

Get the v6 with the Pony Package.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 PM
fastback79

Thank you all for the responses. I'm a corvette racer and new to the Ford Mustang community. Mustang owners are by far the best!!! Glad you are all satisfied with your V6s. It look as if there is a good sized performance aftermarkes for the sixers. Not looking to run quater miles but would like a good balance between gas mileage and performance. Is it easy to bump these cars up to 250hp with simple bolt ons?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Not that I am rolling in it...but money isnt a big object with me. I just chose the 6 and would do it again.

I am getting an average of 25 mpg (over 5+ tanks now) and am very pleased with that...I have a semi-hippy wife, so I have to make some sacrafices. We both give and take a bit or I would be in a Prius.

The Pony 6 is a great car...handles like a dream, plenty of zip around town and very manageable as a daily driver. I would buy the same car agin in a heartbeat.

If money is important...most 8 guys are averaging around 17ish...whereas 6's are around 23. Insurance can be double or even triple for those extra ponies too.

As for simple power...a CAI and tune will transform the car. If you want to go all out...you can for FI at some point...but they do just fine zipping in and out of traffic as is. I didnt buy mine to show off...I bought it because I grin all the way to work (and that is saying something!).

For $21Kish, I could have gotten another Accord or the Mustang. I made the right choice...no doubt.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide a V6 or V8?