Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New PP V6, 3 weeks and now some questions for you all..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Default New PP V6, 3 weeks and now some questions for you all..

Hey everyone, I introduced myself in the new members area a couple weeks ago, but now I have some questions about my car since I've had a chance to put a few miles on it..

#1 - Is the "Mustang" black plastic door sil supposed to get soaked if it rains or you go through a car wash? Whenever I open my door after the car's been wet, the entire plastic thing is covered in water.

#2 - I have an MT and the other day at a stop light, i started to take off in 1st at a casual pace, about 2 seconds after i started to take my foot off the clutch the shifter literally shot like a cannon out of first gear and into neutral.. Was it just not engaged far enough or is this something I should worry about? Also, does anyone ever have a problem going from 2nd to 3rd at high rpms? Im entirely ready to accept the fact it's my driving ability.. but I just thought I'd check. I've put 3,000+ miles on my car in 3 weeks and i've only had these problems come up less than 5 times, so I'm not too concerned.. I've only been driving a stick since i got this mustang and while I pride myself on being able to pick up anything quickly, I can definitely take the humbling of a "you just dont know wtf you're doing" comment if necessary.

#3 - Does anyone else with a shaker system have an incredibly annoying door rattle noise from the drivers side? I've tried holding down every piece of trim, handles, etc along the door and nothing stops the rattle. I'm wondering if something inside the door itself is doing it? It goes away when the window is down, but I dont know if that's because the wind drowns out the rattle or if the window itself is holding something in place? of course this is only during music that really utilizes that factory sub in the door panel.

That's all I can come up with for now, thanks for any advice!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I hate to say it, but all of your problems are common.

Needless to say there are plenty of threads if you search the forums (i think the search function has been fixed).

Unfortunately, the only experience I've shared is the shifter thing - and i wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes when you get lazy you forget where it's placed, and it will let you know when you put the load on!

Hopefully others will chime in on the other things
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

The door sill is supposed to get wet. It's not a problem.

2nd to 3rd shift..Normal The shifter design on these cars is a pain in the A**... Remote shifters aren't good in the best of circumstances but when combined with a T5 it's even worse. Welcome to the T5 trans!! Never had it pop out though. Prob wasn't engaged all the way. Easy to do with this design.

The door rattle is something I don't have, so I can't comment.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well, I have had mine for a year, and as for the tranny, your fine I have had mine do it before you hadnt got it into gear all the way. I have drove a stick all my life and I have had it happen in a few vehicles and seen it happen to others more often. As for the rattle, well IMO Ford did a good job designing the interior but the F-ed up on one major factor, they made everything outta plastic and it will always rattle and creak some, plus it depends if its hot or cold, sometimes the dash rattles in my car, but that is it for my knowledge
Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

Yea I get a rattle from the headlight switch and it drives me nuts sometimes
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

danbevsv6rumbler is right, these are all common problems.
1) it's no big deal for it to get wet

2) I have a MT as well and have driven MT all my life. Our T5 is the most notchy shifter I've experienced. I've never had mine kick out but trust me, you'll have problems finding 3rd when you're gettin' on it. Most people go with an aftermarket shifter to solve this. I'm still running stock.

3) BWfVA is right about Ford missing the quality of building everything plastic and not putting anything absorbent material between peices or at least not enough. The Shaker 500 ROCKS but unfortunately too much and vibrates too much. The most common spot of the vibration is on the door handle by the window buttons or there is a little peice of plastic that just sits behind where your grab the door. It just pops out and I cut some weatherstripping and put behind it and that helped. Mine still rattles in other places but I just deal with it

Enjoy your ride. Post some pics
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I have a passenger side door rattle with the bass cranked up.
Yup, my door sills get wet as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Put your Shifter in N position then push it straight forward it should go into 3rd the shifter was made to go into 3rd this way to make fast shifts from 2nd to 3rd is easy you just put your palm on the shift **** push it forward You do not have to try to move it to the right it will move over by itself just push it straight forward with the palm of you hand with out the fingers wrapped around the ball till you get use to this shift. I have Never had mine pop out of 1st ever.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

when i got mine last year, i was a newb to the mt as well. i've had it pop out a few times, but that was months ago. you'll get it down pretty quick. i also know what you mean about the rattling. but, i used to drive a truck and everything rattles in those things. i guess i thought it was normal!

got a question, though? do aftermarket shifters make that big a difference on our trannys? i've heard that before, but it was always in some catalog or on some manufacturers website. not the most trustworthy place for info.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the comments, Red07Pony my rattle sounds like it's coming from the area you mentioned so I'll have to check that out.

SThom27 I still have the stock shifter, I read a couple posts on these forums though about the Hurst shifter.. it seemed like a lot of people said it was a more gritty shift but I'm not sure how to take that.. i guess it'd depend on personal pref. but the overall sound of the thread made it seem like the Hurst was a nice upgrade You can probably find that thread on here someplace

Quick Reply: New PP V6, 3 weeks and now some questions for you all..