Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cutting Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Default Cutting Springs?

Ok guys I have a question here... Right now Im on a small budget for my car and my buddy said he could cut the springs for me and lower it about 2-3" all the way around his have been cut for about 8 months now and he hasnt had problems but Ive heard this can be problematic? Its only going to be temporary until I get some eibachs but what do you guys think? Btw my buddy with the cut springs is the black stang in my sig.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 03:06 AM
urnamethere
2nd Gear Member

uhhhhh no, i wouldnt do that if i were you
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

With a 2 to 3 inch drop, is he planning to cut/re-weld your panhard to center the rear again. How do you plan to correct pinion angle if necessary... 2" or more will require it.
Springs are not that expensive and your going to be taking them out to cut them anyway. If you can't afford to do a mod properly, don't mod.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

There is a fair amount of work involved in swapping the springs out. Just be patient, save up, and do it right.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
There is a fair amount of work involved in swapping the springs out. Just be patient, save up, and do it right.
+10000

Also cutting the stock springs to lower 32 inches or more will be problematic. Lowering that much requires stiffer springs, dampers.. among other things.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

2" to 3" is way too much, first off the ride is going to be very harsh. Even with aftermarket springs designed for that much drop you will need a number of other suspension mods to restore your suspension geometry. Tires are going to wear out fast, handling will suck, mount points and suspension components will be stressed. Just as bad your going to be an accident waiting to happen.
Since your buddy has done it already you can use his experience to do yours more modestly. I would shoot for a 1" drop max. I cut my springs down on my 95 it isn't easy to predict the amount of drop each cut will produce. The rear is more predictable but I would suggest no more than a 1/4 coil cut at a time. As long not your not afraid to mess up your car, and you have the money to fix it if you do, you will learn more from risking f'ing it up than buying off the shelf.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:25 AM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

dont forget the change in the spring rate. each section of the spring has its own spring rate to compress and support the car. take away the top or bottom of the spring and the suspention wont compress properly.. ie. rough ride, or worse bottoming out, just a thought buy the springs, like it was stated above, you got to take them out to cut them anyway. save your self the headache of cutting them wrong, and being without a car until you can aford the springs
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Alright guys thanks for the input, Ill save up and do it right.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Just save a bit longer and do it the right way. There is a decent amount of work involved to remove the springs and if you plan on swapping to aftermarket springs in the near future its not worth going through the hassle twice to take everything apart. Cut springs will probably give you a bouncy ride and if you cut too much you will have alignment problems. Also, if you lower too much with the stock shocks/struts still in place, they will wear out quickly. Lowering springs put a lot more stress on the stock shocks, thats why a lot of people upgrade shocks and struts at the same time as the springs.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

Honestly if you have the right tools, you could do it yourself. I did mine this past weekend and it only took about 3 hours. Then again I have never done it before. Check out the step by step in here...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...cks/index.html

All you need is a jack and a couple stands, torque wrench, nothing crazy, just make sure you buy new bolts, b/c they are made of aluminum and can only be used once. This helps them lock, and never move out of place.

Quick Reply: Cutting Springs?