Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PH turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:30 PM
WeMowMuppets
1st Gear Member

Default PH turbo

I came across this when doing sopme research, and was woundering if this is true. heres the post i have found.

The inlet elbow of the PH kit is all rubber and it may be just fine for DD in the 9 psi range, but when pushing some serious boost, it really starts falling a part. After maybe 400 miles at 14 psi, the elbow is almost twice the size now and is prone to tear easily.

Adam at ST has redone just about everything on my PH kit including the inlet elbow to a metal one and the entire turbo exhaust housing, the placement of the intake, the piping, intercooler, and even changed it from a suck through to a blow through. It is fair to say my turbo is now a custom built ST unit.

The differences in the car are night and day and the power the car is going to lay down when finshed next week is going to surprise most. I will be at Irwindale this week taking vids and will post some up as well as some shots of the motor after the ST turbo kit.

On the PH kit with their 76mm set-up, I was making peak boost at 4500 rpm and the new ST set-up should se peak boost by 3000 rpm.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

I do not like how the PH kit has the draw-through design either. I would agree with the rubber inlet coupler as well. There are some spots on the exhaust side that I would change but I don't think the placement of the intake/turbo/IC/piping is bad at all.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

my elbow is doing just fine, and ive been running 9-12psi for over a year now and over 25k miles.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95cobby
I do not like how the PH kit has the draw-through design either. I would agree with the rubber inlet coupler as well. There are some spots on the exhaust side that I would change but I don't think the placement of the intake/turbo/IC/piping is bad at all.

the PH kit hasnt been draw through for a long time now, my kit is probably one of maybe 2-3 if not the only draw through kit.

shortly after i bought mine, they changed to a blow through for tuning reasons. it requires the use of a MAFia though, which mine does not, all the way up to 14psi so far.

and whats wrong with the exhaust side of things?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fazm
the PH kit hasnt been draw through for a long time now, my kit is probably one of maybe 2-3 if not the only draw through kit.

shortly after i bought mine, they changed to a blow through for tuning reasons. it requires the use of a MAFia though, which mine does not, all the way up to 14psi so far.

and whats wrong with the exhaust side of things?
Yes I remember seeing pictures of buckman's with the Mafia now. Where does the mafia get placed, after the IC and before the inlet elbow? Would the IAT also go after the IC and before the MAF then? On the exhaust side, I'm not saying its that bad but I would like to keep the cats in the same spot, therefore would have to do the exhaust side a little different. I like the downpipe design they have as well. I plan on building my own kit slowly. I'm still deciding on placement, parts, etc...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

What's the difference between a draw-through and a blow-through? In layman's terms, please. I'm still a newb at FI info.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SThom27
What's the difference between a draw-through and a blow-through? In layman's terms, please. I'm still a newb at FI info.
A draw-through design uses a CBV which is a compressor bypass valve which takes the excess inlet air and redirects it to the inlet of the turbo.

A blow-through design uses a BOV which is a blow off valve that makes that swooosh sound, easy way of explaining it, and releases the excess inlet air to the outside.

As the throttle opens all the compressed air goes in. But when the throttle is closed all that compressed air needs somewhere to go. Instead of going back into the turbo and and forcing the compressor wheel to spin the wrong way and causing damage to the turbo a CBV or BOV is used to release the pressure.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

@ the OP...

So you pick the one guy who didn't like the kit out of how many kits out there?
I know exactly who wrote that and you should really do a lot more research before taking what he stated as fact.

As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, every kit he gets becomes the greatest thing out there until he changes shops and then the new place becomes the greatest thing. Just off the top of my head it was...Vortech, PH turbo, Kenne Bell and then Whipple with different shops going from the best to the goat, ie: JDM to PH to ST and now GAS.
Now in your post it looks like ST is the best thing since sliced bread, but research further and you will see he had issues with ST now as well and has since moved on. I have nothing against the guy who wrote that, obviously he felt that way about all the shops he dealt with and maybe someday can find the setup that is right for him.

There are guys out there that were running faster then he was with absolutely NO issues, Fin1 is a great example. Look his car up on other forums, it is a high 9 sec ride using a blow through setup with all the stock kit parts.

Obviously, I am partial to PH. I have went through extensive builds with them and even though I live in MI now I will still continue to go with them. There are a lot of customers like me out there, but do your research using forums as a guide, but not the end-all be-all and then base your conclusions from there.

Last edited by Buckman; 08-26-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Default Agreed

I would trust Fazm and Buckmans words. They have been nothing but great help regarding PH Turbo questions.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Default ?

Would there be any issues regarding side exhaust with the PH turbo? I want the cervinis kit and wanted to know if they would be able to run efficiently with no problems.

Quick Reply: PH turbo