Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel Economy dropping every day

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:24 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel Economy dropping every day

Ok, before I get on with this post I have to say-- YES I know there are many threads out there with this. And that "I shouldn't own a mustang if I want good fuel econ"

With that said, I Love my Mustang, fuel economy does hurt my wallet though lately (hey, I'm a college student!)

It seems that lately my fuel economy is just getting worse and worse... When I first got the car a couple months ago it was actually great (around 350-375 miles per tank), now I'm averaging about 250-300 miles per tank. Last tank I measured was about 300miles to the tank (for about 15 gallons). I filled it up again and now since I last filled it up my tank is 1/4 gone and on my trip odometer it says 60 miles, so 60 x 4 = 240 miles to this tank?! Something seems wrong as it is getting worse and worse it seems like...

The only mod I've done is put a K&N Air filter in it (which if anything should improve MPG)

Could it be the oil I'm using?? My last oil change is around the time I started to notice it getting a little worse (if I remember right). I believe I put Mobil5000 in it (I'd have to check to make sure).

Last fillup I didn't drive conservatively and I averaged about 75 miles per 1/4 tank. My fillup after that one (the one I'm on right now) I've drove VERY conservatively (even 55 on the highway) and I'm getting worse mpg...

Also if I let my car sit for a while and start it up and rev up the engine it makes a Popping noise. Could this be the culprit? What is this noise?? I only does it on startup if I rev it (I havent checked if its still doing it for a week or so).

Something seems wrong here, help?!?

-Thanks, Max

P.S. could someone inform me on what a fuel econ tune-up is (I forget if thats what its called)
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

You managed 350-375 miles per tank?

What?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

ahh another thread concerning fuel. I too was in your shoes and got paranoid as well before these guys answered my questions. it depends on many factors: your way of driving, whether it's city or driving, etc. i had my car at 300 to E from the stealership bought stock. I do city driving the most so I saw that drop to 210-215 to E. so you're ok. keep in mind though that what you're reading is not truely accurate as if it were done on paper.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Thanks Mr. Bape.

Does anyone know about the popping noise I'm hearing?
And exactly what OIL is best to put in my engine?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Also if I let my car sit for a while and start it up and rev up the engine it makes a Popping noise. Could this be the culprit? What is this noise?? I only does it on startup if I rev it (I havent checked if its still doing it for a week or so).
Do you notice worse gas mileage the more you sit and rev the engine?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazyassracer
Do you notice worse gas mileage the more you sit and rev the engine?

For some reason I sense sarcasm here.

I said I had'nt done this in a few weeks. And when I said "sit" I meant with the Engine OFF ( let it sit, cool down for a few hours). Then when I said Rev the engine I meant immediately after I start the car if I rev it, it will pop.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, Mustang, Minnesota, September... have you put on snow chains recently?

Seriously, these cars are sensitive to driving style, has your type of driving changed recently? Run with your defrost on more often? Minnesota change its fuel formula recently? Wearing heavier shoes?

My car pops under hard acceleration until it has warmed, after two city blocks it stops, but I have a flow through muffler.

Have you checked your plugs for discoloration due to poor combustion?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

For some reason I sense sarcasm here.

I said I had'nt done this in a few weeks. And when I said "sit" I meant with the Engine OFF ( let it sit, cool down for a few hours). Then when I said Rev the engine I meant immediately after I start the car if I rev it, it will pop.
Well I dont know about what type of exhaust you have or anything but when I start my car up and its cold I get some backfire when I rev it that sounds like a shotgun but it only does it when its cold.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

My exhaust is stock. Could it be my Cadillac Converter?

Also weather hasnt changed and I havent changed my driving style.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

My exhaust is stock. Could it be my Cadillac Converter?
Definitely not on a Mustang.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy dropping every day